You Can Watch the Lyrid Meteor Shower Tonight From Your Backyard
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s time to break out that picnic blanket and set your alarm for an absolutely ungodly hour, because on Monday evening, you can watch the Lyrid meteor shower from your backyard.
The shower, which started on April 16 and will end on April 25, will be at its most brilliant when it peaks late in the evening on April 22 and continues into the early morning hours of April 23. It will be visible all across North America.
Bill Cooke, from NASA’s Meteoroid Environment Office, told TPG, since the moon will be in its waning gibbous phase (near, but not quite full), the shower might not be that easy to see this year. Cooke also stated that this year’s shower will likely have pretty low visibility, however, the brighter Lyrids should still shine through. Cloudy condition around much of the nation won’t help, either.
Cooke said that Lyrids should be visible across the Northern Hemisphere. “You could be in Florida, you can be in Alaska — you’ll see Lyrids,” said Cooke. Experts suggest that the best time to catch a glimpse of this natural phenomena is just before dawn — 4 AM local time, to be exact. If you live in a city, you’re also going to want to drive out somewhere that has less light pollution, as the shower will already be somewhat diminished by the brightness of the moon.
To the naked eye, the meteors will appear to originate from the Lyra (Harp) constellation. Cooke also suggested that viewers avoid looking at their phone or any other bright screens so their eyes can properly adjust to the darkness.
And if you’re flying overnight, keep your reading light off and your window shade open: You might very well catch a glimpse of shooting stars streaking across the sky during your flight.
Featured image by DANIEL REINHARDT/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees