You Can Watch the Lyrid Meteor Shower Tonight From Your Backyard
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s time to break out that picnic blanket and set your alarm for an absolutely ungodly hour, because on Monday evening, you can watch the Lyrid meteor shower from your backyard.
The shower, which started on April 16 and will end on April 25, will be at its most brilliant when it peaks late in the evening on April 22 and continues into the early morning hours of April 23. It will be visible all across North America.
Bill Cooke, from NASA’s Meteoroid Environment Office, told TPG, since the moon will be in its waning gibbous phase (near, but not quite full), the shower might not be that easy to see this year. Cooke also stated that this year’s shower will likely have pretty low visibility, however, the brighter Lyrids should still shine through. Cloudy condition around much of the nation won’t help, either.
Cooke said that Lyrids should be visible across the Northern Hemisphere. “You could be in Florida, you can be in Alaska — you’ll see Lyrids,” said Cooke. Experts suggest that the best time to catch a glimpse of this natural phenomena is just before dawn — 4 AM local time, to be exact. If you live in a city, you’re also going to want to drive out somewhere that has less light pollution, as the shower will already be somewhat diminished by the brightness of the moon.
To the naked eye, the meteors will appear to originate from the Lyra (Harp) constellation. Cooke also suggested that viewers avoid looking at their phone or any other bright screens so their eyes can properly adjust to the darkness.
And if you’re flying overnight, keep your reading light off and your window shade open: You might very well catch a glimpse of shooting stars streaking across the sky during your flight.
Featured image by DANIEL REINHARDT/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.