This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Once again, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) is the world’s busiest airport by passenger traffic, according to 2017 data released Thursday by Airports Council International. Atlanta has held the uncontested title since 1998 — but it may lose it soon, as air traffic growth keeps booming in China. Beijing is getting very close to the top spot.
Overall passenger traffic worldwide increased 7.5% to 8.3 billion in 2017 – one of the strongest growth rates in aviation history. Out of those 8.3 billion travelers, Atlanta International Airport personally accounted for just under 104 million – the only airport to break the 100-million mark. However, the airport saw a slight decrease in year-on-year passenger traffic, with a small drop of 0.3% from 2016 numbers. Beijing, in contrast, grew 1.5% to 95 million. Atlanta was the only airport among the top 20 to actually lose traffic last year.
Worldwide aircraft movements increased by 3% to 95.8 million.
The top US airport for cargo is Memphis (MEM), with 4.3 million metric tons of cargo processed in 2017 — the Tennessee city is the biggest hub for FedEx. Hong Kong (HKG) remains the world’s largest cargo hub with 5.1 million metric tons of processed cargo.
The Busiest Airports of 2017 by Passenger Traffic
|RANK in 2017||RANK in 2016||AIRPORT CITY / COUNTRY / CODE||PASSENGERS: Departing and Arriving||PASSENGERS: Percent change|
|1||1||ATLANTA GA, US (ATL)||103.9 million||-0.3|
|2||2||BEIJING, CN (PEK)||95.8 million||1.5|
|3||3||DUBAI, AE (DXB)||88 million||5.5|
|4||5||TOKYO, JP (HND)||85 million||6.5|
|5||4||LOS ANGELES CA, US (LAX)||84.6 million||4.5|
|6||6||CHICAGO IL, US (ORD)||79.8 million||2.4|
|7||7||LONDON, GB (LHR)||78 million||3|
|8||8||HONG KONG, HK (HKG)||72.6 million||3.4|
|9||9||SHANGHAI, CN (PVG)||70 million||6.1|
|10||10||PARIS, FR (CDG)||69.5 million||5.4|
|11||12||AMSTERDAM, NL (AMS)||68.5 million||7.7|
|12||11||DALLAS/FORT WORTH TX, US (DFW)||67.1 million||2.3|
|13||15||GUANGZHOU, CN (CAN)||65.9 million||10.3|
|14||13||FRANKFURT, DE (FRA)||64.5 million||6.1|
|15||14||ISTANBUL, TR (IST)||64.1 million||6.1|
|16||22||NEW DELHI, IN (DEL)||63.5 million||14.1|
|17||19||JAKARTA, ID (CGK)||63 million||8.3|
|18||17||SINGAPORE, SG (SIN)||62 million||6|
|19||20||INCHEON, KR (ICN)||62 million||7.5|
|20||18||DENVER CO, US (DEN)||61 million||5.3|
Featured photo of the Atlanta airport by Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees