15-Foot Wands Will Light up London in Honor of JK Rowling’s Charity
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For Harry Potter fanatics and JK Rowling enthusiasts alike, London’s newest art installation might be up your alley. From Oct. 18 through Nov. 12, you can walk through a tunnel of 15-foot-tall wands between London’s Millennium Bridge and St. Paul’s Cathedral.
Beyond any publicity for Rowling’s screenwriting debut in the upcoming film Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindewald, these illuminating wands are being brought to life in homage to Rowling’s charity Lumos, which aims to end “the institutionalization of children around the world,” according to its website.
View this post on Instagram
Exciting news in London! Next month, as excitement builds for the 16 November release of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, an installation of nine giant wands will illuminate the walkway between Millennium Bridge and St. Paul’s Cathedral in London to help raise awareness for Lumos, and our mission to end the institutionalisation of children around the world. Standing fifteen feet tall, the wands – bringing to life those belonging to some of the most beloved characters in the Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts films – are the centrepiece of the new installation, Fantastic Beasts: Wizarding World Wands supporting Lumos. It is set to light up Peter’s Hill every night at 6:45pm from 18th October to 12th November. The installation also kicks off a series of exciting activities for fans every “Wizarding Wednesday,” including wand training and a live performance of music from the Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts films by a military marching band. Come and see the wands from October 18th! #lumos #wearelumos #wands #wizardingworld #harrypotter #jkrowling #fantasticbeasts #thecrimesofgrindelwald #warnerbros #magic #london #cityoflondon
A post shared by Lumos (@wearelumos) on
While the website notes that the tunnel of wands are the “centerpiece of the installation,” Harry Potter fans can also partake in “Wizarding Wednesday,” where they can brush up on their wand skills and watch a military band play music from the Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts films.
The instillation echoes the City of London Arts initiatives, and according to Josh Berger, the president and managing director of Warner Bros. UK, Eire and Spain, London has “played a huge role in the on-screen legacy of the Wizarding World.”
Starting at 6:45pm, Potter fans can see these illuminated wands in preparation for the film’s release on Nov. 16.
Featured image courtesy Lumos Instagram.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.