Waldorf Astoria Maldives award space currently open at the old rates
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve recently been unsuccessfully searching for award space at the Waldorf Astoria Maldives, we’ve got fantastic news: Hilton has opened up standard award space at the resort starting near-term and running through the end of the calendar. While there are scattered dates available in most months, there are noticeable clusters to be found between Feb. and May 2022, as first reported by View From the Wing.
A few weeks ago, we reported that award rates at this property were increasing from 120,000 to 150,000 Hilton Honors points per night for a standard room. The good news is that while the rates on some dates have gone up, you can still find some award space at the old rates.
For TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
While searching for availability last night, I was able to find several two-night stays in June for 120,000 Hilton points per night. You might find similar deals by searching in one to two-night increments, but keep in mind that Hilton elites also get the fifth night free.
Both the 120,000-point rate and the fifth-night free amount to a 20% discount on award nights. In the ideal scenario, you’d book a five-night award stay at the 120,000 point rate, plus the fifth night free on a five-night booking. However, finding five award nights in a row at the lowest available rate may or may not be possible even with this increase in availability.
As you can see, the lower standard award room rate isn’t always available for multiple days in a row, so you may still need to book a mix of awards and paid stays and keep an eye on those paid stays to see if a reasonably priced award becomes available.
And keep in mind that a standard room redemption at this resort is really anything but standard. For example, this villa that pricing as low as 120,000 points comes in at over 3,000 square feet with two queen beds, its own infinity pool and direct ocean access.
If you’ve been stocking up on Hilton points thanks to the current best-ever welcome bonuses that go as high as 180,000 points on the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card (after spending $10,000 total in the first six months of card membership), this resort is a great place to really squeeze maximum value out of your points. TPG values Hilton points at 0.6 cents each, but you can often get two cents or more when redeeming the points at the Waldorf Astoria Maldives. Just remember that even if you use points you’ll still be on the hook for expenses such as the $650 per adult 40-minute yacht ride from the Velana International Airport.
With standard room availability being more widespread than normal, this might also be a great opportunity to redeem your Hilton free night certificate from the Hilton credit cards. The expiration dates on these certificates have been extended and they’re now valid any night, not just on weekends.
- Any certificate issued prior to May 1, 2020, is valid through Aug. 31, 2021
- Any certificate issued between May 1 and Dec. 31, 2020, is valid for 24 months from the date of issuance
- All newly issued Free Weekend Night Reward certificates will be valid through Dec. 31, 2022.
If the Maldives is on your bucket list, the Waldorf Astoria is a great property to redeem your Hilton points. While the transfer fees are steep, it can be worthwhile for a once-in-a-lifetime vacation. And considering the standard room is a partially over-water Reef Villa, you’re getting more than just a typical hotel room.
Featured image courtesy of Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.