ANA Lets Flyers Vote on Upcoming Economy and Premium Economy Meals
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Unless you’re flying internationally in a premium cabin, meal options on flights barely pass the test of being appetizing. But if you wan’t to take back a bit of control in the flying process, at least when it comes to what you eat while you’re stuck in a metal tube, then ANA’s annual stunt is for you.
The Japanese airline announced its sixth annual In-Flight Meal General Election where travelers can vote on their favorite curry-themed dish that will be served on future ANA flights.
From Oct. 19 to Oct. 28, the public can vote on their favorite curry from a selection of nine. From there, ANA will announce the top picks in November. Then, from March through May 2019, the winning meals will be served in economy and premium economy cabins on select international flights departing from Japan.
Voters will be able to vote for their favorite curries, including seafood curry with oyster sauce or a curry pilaf, from this list.
While these meals don’t look a much more appealing than what you’d find on normal international economy flights, it’s nice that you can at least have a say in what you might eat. Regardless, all of our reviews of ANA economy and premium economy have given solid scores for ANA’s inflight food and beverage service.
Although the voting page doesn’t appear to be live yet, you can click here to vote when the contest is up and running on Friday, Oct. 19.
“We take our passengers’ opinions into great consideration,” said Yutaka Ito, executive vice president of ANA, in a statement. “ANA wants to give travelers the chance to try new dishes they will actually enjoy while traveling.”
The project is part of Tastes of Japan by ANA, which explores different regions of Japan’s culinary experience, this one focusing on Chugoku/Shikoku region’s local ingredients, said the airline.
Featured image by J. Keith van Straaten / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.