This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Residents of a tiny volcanic island 600 miles south of Tokyo are taking increased seismic activity detected on Mount Shindake by the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) seriously. Kuchierabujima’s 100 residents have been asked to prepare for evacuation in response to volcanic earthquakes and sulfur emissions; it’s been recommended that the disabled “leave the island immediately,” according to Newsweek.
A Level 4 warning — the second highest — has been issued for the area, only three miles wide, as of Wednesday.
Mount Shindake last erupted in 2015, according to Reuters, “sending ash and smoke thousands of meters into the sky and releasing potentially deadly pyroclastic flows, flows of super-heated ash and gas, that reached the sea.”
Although there have been no eruptions yet, if Mount Shindake does blow, debris emitted from the 2,155-foot volcano could potentially delay air travel in Southern Japan.
We will update this post with waivers issued by any affected airlines.
Photo via JIJI PRESS/AFP for Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards