This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Residents of a tiny volcanic island 600 miles south of Tokyo are taking increased seismic activity detected on Mount Shindake by the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) seriously. Kuchierabujima’s 100 residents have been asked to prepare for evacuation in response to volcanic earthquakes and sulfur emissions; it’s been recommended that the disabled “leave the island immediately,” according to Newsweek.
A Level 4 warning — the second highest — has been issued for the area, only three miles wide, as of Wednesday.
Mount Shindake last erupted in 2015, according to Reuters, “sending ash and smoke thousands of meters into the sky and releasing potentially deadly pyroclastic flows, flows of super-heated ash and gas, that reached the sea.”
Although there have been no eruptions yet, if Mount Shindake does blow, debris emitted from the 2,155-foot volcano could potentially delay air travel in Southern Japan.
We will update this post with waivers issued by any affected airlines.
Photo via JIJI PRESS/AFP for Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees