Active Volcano South of Tokyo May Cause Major Flight Delays in Japan
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Residents of a tiny volcanic island 600 miles south of Tokyo are taking increased seismic activity detected on Mount Shindake by the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) seriously. Kuchierabujima’s 100 residents have been asked to prepare for evacuation in response to volcanic earthquakes and sulfur emissions; it’s been recommended that the disabled “leave the island immediately,” according to Newsweek.
A Level 4 warning — the second highest — has been issued for the area, only three miles wide, as of Wednesday.
Mount Shindake last erupted in 2015, according to Reuters, “sending ash and smoke thousands of meters into the sky and releasing potentially deadly pyroclastic flows, flows of super-heated ash and gas, that reached the sea.”
Although there have been no eruptions yet, if Mount Shindake does blow, debris emitted from the 2,155-foot volcano could potentially delay air travel in Southern Japan.
We will update this post with waivers issued by any affected airlines.
Photo via JIJI PRESS/AFP for Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.