Active Volcano South of Tokyo May Cause Major Flight Delays in Japan
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Residents of a tiny volcanic island 600 miles south of Tokyo are taking increased seismic activity detected on Mount Shindake by the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) seriously. Kuchierabujima’s 100 residents have been asked to prepare for evacuation in response to volcanic earthquakes and sulfur emissions; it’s been recommended that the disabled “leave the island immediately,” according to Newsweek.
A Level 4 warning — the second highest — has been issued for the area, only three miles wide, as of Wednesday.
Mount Shindake last erupted in 2015, according to Reuters, “sending ash and smoke thousands of meters into the sky and releasing potentially deadly pyroclastic flows, flows of super-heated ash and gas, that reached the sea.”
Although there have been no eruptions yet, if Mount Shindake does blow, debris emitted from the 2,155-foot volcano could potentially delay air travel in Southern Japan.
We will update this post with waivers issued by any affected airlines.
Photo via JIJI PRESS/AFP for Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees