Volaris opens Fresno’s latest international route to Mexico
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Mexican airline Volaris launched the first-ever nonstop between Fresno in California’s Central Valley and Leon/Guanajuato on Monday.
The low-cost carrier is offering twice-weekly service between Fresno (FAT) and Leon/Guanajuato (BJX), on Airbus A320 family jets.
“Our main objective in Volaris is that more people travel more,” Miguel Aguiñiga, director of market development and distribution of Volaris, said in a statement. “With the opening of this new route we are fulfilling this vision, by getting more people to visit their loved ones.”
— Fresno Yosemite International Airport (@FresnoAirport) October 30, 2019
Volaris targets the visiting friends and relatives market with its broad network to the U.S. The airline serves 21 cities in the country, including Fresno, making it the largest Mexican carrier to the U.S. by number of destinations, according to Diio by Cirium schedules.
Aeromexico, a partner of Delta Air Lines, only serves 16 cities in the U.S., the data shows.
Volaris has a codeshare partnership with Frontier Airlines. Both carriers are owned by private equity firm Indigo Partners, which is known for investing in and building successful low-cost carriers. It’s successful track record in the U.S. includes Spirit Airlines, which grew rapidly after remaking itself as an ultra low-cost carrier under Indigo’s ownership. Spirit is now publicly traded.
From Fresno, Volaris already serves Guadalajara (GDL) and Morelia (MLM) in Mexico, according to Diio. Aeromexico also flies between the California city and Guadalajara.
Featured image by ALFREDO ESTRELLA/AFP via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.