Visiting Downtown Disney This Summer? Here’s What’s Closing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Seven businesses that have been staples of Anaheim’s Downtown Disney will be demolished in July to make way for a new 700-room hotel. Most of the businesses were built when Downtown Disney first opened in 2001. This will be the largest renovation of the entertainment district that was created to accommodate the expanding park.
Experts say the demolition will mark a turning point for the park because the destination will switch from attracting local residents to tourists who are willing to spend money on a large, “four-diamond hotel,” according to The OC Register. The hotel, which currently has no name, will occupy 17 acres in Downtown Disney. There’s been no confirmation regarding whether the businesses that will be demolished will be relocated, although some are speculating that several businesses might be moved within the new hotel grounds.
The following businesses will be demolished:
- AMC 12 Theatres
- Rainforest Cafe
- ESPN Zone
- Earl of Sandwich
- Alamo Rent-a-Car
- Starbucks (west side location)
- Disney Vacation Club and Walt Disney Travel will continue to operate in other resort locations.
All of the businesses are set to close by June 30, but some might close earlier. Disney hasn’t received final approval on the hotel construction from the city of Anaheim yet. The hotel is expected to have a monorail stop and a new restaurant that offers views of the Disneyland fireworks.
Officials said employees of the closing businesses were notified Tuesday.
H/T: The OC Register
Featured image courtesy of Disney
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel