Visiting Downtown Disney This Summer? Here’s What’s Closing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Seven businesses that have been staples of Anaheim’s Downtown Disney will be demolished in July to make way for a new 700-room hotel. Most of the businesses were built when Downtown Disney first opened in 2001. This will be the largest renovation of the entertainment district that was created to accommodate the expanding park.
Experts say the demolition will mark a turning point for the park because the destination will switch from attracting local residents to tourists who are willing to spend money on a large, “four-diamond hotel,” according to The OC Register. The hotel, which currently has no name, will occupy 17 acres in Downtown Disney. There’s been no confirmation regarding whether the businesses that will be demolished will be relocated, although some are speculating that several businesses might be moved within the new hotel grounds.
The following businesses will be demolished:
- AMC 12 Theatres
- Rainforest Cafe
- ESPN Zone
- Earl of Sandwich
- Alamo Rent-a-Car
- Starbucks (west side location)
- Disney Vacation Club and Walt Disney Travel will continue to operate in other resort locations.
All of the businesses are set to close by June 30, but some might close earlier. Disney hasn’t received final approval on the hotel construction from the city of Anaheim yet. The hotel is expected to have a monorail stop and a new restaurant that offers views of the Disneyland fireworks.
Officials said employees of the closing businesses were notified Tuesday.
H/T: The OC Register
Featured image courtesy of Disney
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees