Rome to Open Site Where Julius Caesar Was Killed to Tourists
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, Rome mayor Virginia Raggi announced that the site where Julius Caesar was killed — Largo di Torre Argentina — will be renovated and opened to tourists by the second half of 2021. More recently known for being stray cat turf and otherwise closed off to the public, the reopening of the spot will resurface parts of Roman history and architecture.
It’s been said that Largo di Torre Argentina is the place where Caesar was stabbed 22 times outside of the Theater of Pompey and killed at the Curia, also a part of the theater complex. The Curia, or the senate house, still remains as a foundation of tufa stone between two of the four theaters in the complex. Altogether, those components, along with other historical remnants, make up the Largo di Torre Argentina. However, the site previously had been deserted and fenced off, now known more commonly for its central location with many bus stops and its cat sanctuary.
The projected €800,000 renovation is being spearheaded by fashion house Bulgari. “Rome is always the main source of inspiration for Bulgari,” said Jean-Christophe Babin, Bulgari CEO, as reported by Conde Nast Traveler. “This site has an extraordinary value because it’s the oldest open-air spot in Rome.”
The tweet announcing of the renovation from Mayor Raggi read [translated from Italian]: “The sacred area of Largo Argentina is reborn. The archaeological site, in the center of Rome, will once again be accessible to Romans and tourists thanks to an act of cultural patronage of the Bulgari Maison.” The message resulted in many thanks and congratulations in the replies.
With the renovation, Mayor Raggi also emphasized that the project will make the site accessible to all, with walkways, a museum and nighttime lighting in place upon the reopening. As for the stray cats, the renovation should not disrupt their sanctuary in temple D as renovations are said to only be taking place in temples A, B and C.
H/T: Conde Nast Traveler
Featured image by Andrea Ronchini/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees