This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Your next in-flight entertainment experience could be multidimensional.
Beginning the week of February 18, Spanish airline Iberia is launching a six-month trial of virtual reality (VR) headsets on board its two daily A350-900 flights between Madrid and New York City, as well as on its daily A330-200 flight between Madrid and Tel Aviv.
The second-generation Pico devices by Inflight VR will be available for rent at a trial rate of six Euros ($6.79 USD), and will allow travelers to experience 3D Red Sea dives, films, documentaries and other entertainment “firsthand.” The duration of the rental will last as long as the fully charged headset batteries last, estimated to be around four to five hours at full capacity.
The carrier received positive feedback from travelers after offering trial experiences in the premium lounges at Madrid Airport, as well as during a flight between Madrid and Tel Aviv, and plans to expand the service to other medium- and long-haul Iberia routes if this initial six-month trial goes well.
Iberia isn’t the first airline to try and jump on the VR bandwagon. Just last fall, Alaska Airlines announced its plans to bring virtual reality on board select flights.
Intriguingly, Inflight VR’s founder, Nikolas Jaeger, claims that the company’s devices offer, “motion sickness-free virtual reality in-flight entertainment.” Considering virtual reality motion sickness is already a concern for many people even on stable ground, this is a bold statement.
TPG reached out to Iberia and Inflight VR for additional information on how the technology would work, as well as prospective rental rates and launch dates, but had not heard back as of the time of publication.
Update: This article was updated on February 18 at 11 am ET to reflect new information regarding price points and battery life from Iberia.
Featured photos courtesy of Iberia.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that