This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Your next in-flight entertainment experience could be multidimensional.
Beginning the week of February 18, Spanish airline Iberia is launching a six-month trial of virtual reality (VR) headsets on board its two daily A350-900 flights between Madrid and New York City, as well as on its daily A330-200 flight between Madrid and Tel Aviv.
The second-generation Pico devices by Inflight VR will be available for rent at a trial rate of six Euros ($6.79 USD), and will allow travelers to experience 3D Red Sea dives, films, documentaries and other entertainment “firsthand.” The duration of the rental will last as long as the fully charged headset batteries last, estimated to be around four to five hours at full capacity.
The carrier received positive feedback from travelers after offering trial experiences in the premium lounges at Madrid Airport, as well as during a flight between Madrid and Tel Aviv, and plans to expand the service to other medium- and long-haul Iberia routes if this initial six-month trial goes well.
Iberia isn’t the first airline to try and jump on the VR bandwagon. Just last fall, Alaska Airlines announced its plans to bring virtual reality on board select flights.
Intriguingly, Inflight VR’s founder, Nikolas Jaeger, claims that the company’s devices offer, “motion sickness-free virtual reality in-flight entertainment.” Considering virtual reality motion sickness is already a concern for many people even on stable ground, this is a bold statement.
TPG reached out to Iberia and Inflight VR for additional information on how the technology would work, as well as prospective rental rates and launch dates, but had not heard back as of the time of publication.
Update: This article was updated on February 18 at 11 am ET to reflect new information regarding price points and battery life from Iberia.
Featured photos courtesy of Iberia.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards