You Can Soon Enjoy Virtual Reality On Board Some Iberia Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Your next in-flight entertainment experience could be multidimensional.
Beginning the week of February 18, Spanish airline Iberia is launching a six-month trial of virtual reality (VR) headsets on board its two daily A350-900 flights between Madrid and New York City, as well as on its daily A330-200 flight between Madrid and Tel Aviv.
The second-generation Pico devices by Inflight VR will be available for rent at a trial rate of six Euros ($6.79 USD), and will allow travelers to experience 3D Red Sea dives, films, documentaries and other entertainment “firsthand.” The duration of the rental will last as long as the fully charged headset batteries last, estimated to be around four to five hours at full capacity.
Flight crew will also be able to reach out to and interact with passengers directly through the VR technology.
The carrier received positive feedback from travelers after offering trial experiences in the premium lounges at Madrid Airport, as well as during a flight between Madrid and Tel Aviv, and plans to expand the service to other medium- and long-haul Iberia routes if this initial six-month trial goes well.
Iberia isn’t the first airline to try and jump on the VR bandwagon. Just last fall, Alaska Airlines announced its plans to bring virtual reality on board select flights.
Intriguingly, Inflight VR’s founder, Nikolas Jaeger, claims that the company’s devices offer, “motion sickness-free virtual reality in-flight entertainment.” Considering virtual reality motion sickness is already a concern for many people even on stable ground, this is a bold statement.
TPG reached out to Iberia and Inflight VR for additional information on how the technology would work, as well as prospective rental rates and launch dates, but had not heard back as of the time of publication.
Update: This article was updated on February 18 at 11 am ET to reflect new information regarding price points and battery life from Iberia.
Featured photos courtesy of Iberia.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees