Watch: Richard Branson gives tour of Virgin Voyages’ Scarlet Lady
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with additional information about the Virgin Voyages cruise, as well as video footage. The original article was published on Dec. 5, 2019.
Virgin Voyages’ first ship has moved one step closer to its first sailing with passengers. Last month, Scarlet Lady, the cruise line’s first ship, successfully completed its sea trials on a sailing between Italy and France.
From Nov. 15-18, Scarlet Lady sailed from Genoa to Marseille before returning to its station in Genoa from Nov. 27-30. The return journey was the first round of sea trials, which it successfully completed.
Sir Richard Branson joined the sea trials sailing, along with his family, several executives at Virgin Voyages including CEO Tom McAlpin and the CEO of fellow Virgin group member Virgin Atlantic, Shari Weiss.
Video released by Virgin shows Branson touring the gargantuan vessel.
“I think Virgin’s heritage is really well represented on this ship,” said Branson. “The name itself, the Scarlet Lady, was the name of Virgin Atlantic’s first two planes.”
The Virgin Group chairman toured the Manor, a large club aboard the Scarlet Lady. The Manor is named after Virgin’s first recording studio, which hosted rock legends like the Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney.
Branson said he wanted to avoid the typical stereotype of a cruise ship when creating Virgin Voyages. “If we can create the type of cruise ship that our friends and ourselves would go on, then we’d go on it,” he said.
Branson painted the outline of the Virgin flag on the hull of the ship, where the cruise line’s logo will appear.
“Virgin Voyages can confirm the Scarlet Lady is smooth, stable and quiet, gliding through the water in various weather conditions,” Virgin Voyages said in a statement.
The sea trials completion is the next step Scarlet Lady had to complete, putting her one step closer to her maiden voyage on April 1, 2020. Scarlet Lady is set to sail from Miami to destinations in the Caribbean on four- and five-night itineraries.
In November, Virgin Voyages unveiled its second ship, the Valiant Lady. While Scarlet Lady will be dedicated to Caribbean sailings, Valiant Lady will initially sail seven-night Mediterranean itineraries out of Barcelona, Spain. Sailing on the Valiant Lady is set to begin in May 2021.
Virgin Voyages has branded itself as the cruise line for people who wouldn’t typically consider cruising. Each of its ships has a no-kids-allowed policy, and the ships are designed to cater to a younger, millennial audience. Passengers will be allowed to shake their device to get Champagne delivered on demand, stop by the onboard Squid Ink tattoo parlor or go to a drag-queen brunch.
Additional reporting by Brendan Dorsey.
All photos courtesy of Virgin Voyages.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees