Tickets on sale: Fly to Cape Town from 12,500 miles one-way with new Virgin route
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Tickets on Virgin Atlantic’s relaunched route to Cape Town are now on sale. As of Monday morning, the carrier is showing return flights from its base in London to the popular holiday destination of Cape Town.
As reported by One Mile at a Time, the airline has started issuing tickets on the relaunched route. As of 25 October 2020, Virgin will fly daily between London Heathrow (LHR) and Cape Town (CPT) — a route it previously serviced until 2014.
Return flights with Virgin are showing as £598 ($778) in Economy Light, Virgin’s most restrictive economy ticket. For £669 ($870) round-trip, you can purchase an Economy Classic ticket, which is less than Virgin’s original advertised price of £713 ($927) round-trip.
If you’re looking to use points and miles from London Heathrow (LHR), you can expect to pay as few as 57,500 Flying Club miles + £391 ($509) one-way in Upper Class —or 115,000 miles and around £590 ($768) in taxes and fees round-trip.
However, if you originate in Cape Town and want to redeem for a one-way reward ticket in Upper Class, you can expect to pay slightly less in taxes and fees. For example, this one-way flight costs the same 57,500 Flying Club miles but 4,451 South Africa Rand, or about £228 ($297) — more than £150 ($195) less than originating in London.
If economy is more in the books, expect to pay 25,000 Flying Club miles and around £275 ($358) for a return itinerary from London to Cape Town — from 12,500 miles plus taxes and fees one-way. Based on TPG U.K.’s most recent valuations, those 25,000 Flying Club miles are worth £300 ($390). On top of the taxes and fees, you’re looking at about £575 ($748)— a good value, considering it’s booked in Economy Classic, where the lowest cash fare is £668 ($869) round-trip.
We also found flights from the U.S. to Cape Town via London for about $974 round-trip from New York (JFK), from Los Angeles for $1,155 round-trip, and about $1,307 from Seattle.
The best way to get Flying Club miles is by transferring points from a bank or hotel program.
You can transfer American Express Membership Rewards (instant transfer), Chase Ultimate Rewards (instant transfer), Citi ThankYou Rewards (instant transfer) and Diners Club points to Flying Club at a 1:1 ratio.
Featured photo by Patrick Fallon/The Points Guy.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.