Virgin Atlantic’s aging Airbus A340s will keep flying for a while longer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virgin Atlantic’s aging Airbus A340-600 aircraft will live to see another few weeks, including on flights from London to New York. The original plan had been to retire them next month as the airline’s newest jet, the A350 sporting the new Upper Class seats, comes online.
Virgin has changed its plan to phase out the fuel-guzzling, four-engined aircraft on October 26. Virgin’s A340-600s are now scheduled to stay in service until December 8.
As of September 15, the aircraft only operates on the airline’s New York and Delhi routes, with schedule as follows:
Delhi — 29 October – 31 October
- VS300 London Heathrow (LHR) 9:40 p.m. Departure ⇒ Delhi (DEL) 10:45 a.m. Arrival
- VS301 Delhi (DEL) 12:30 p.m. Departure ⇒ London Heathrow (LHR) 5:35 a.m. Arrival
New York — 26 October
- VS3 London Heathrow (LHR) 9:00 a.m. Departure ⇒ New York (JFK) 11:55 a.m. Arrival
- VS4 New York (JFK) 6:00 p.m. Departure ⇒ London Heathrow (LHR) 6:25 a.m. Arrival
New York — 27 October
- VS3 London Heathrow (LHR) 8:45 a.m. Departure ⇒ New York (JFK) 12:45 p.m. Arrival
- VS4 New York (JFK) 7:30 p.m. Departure ⇒ London Heathrow (LHR) 6:30 a.m. Arrival
New York — 27 October – 8 December
- VS45 London Heathrow (LHR) 2:30 p.m. Departure ⇒ New York (JFK) 5:25 p.m. Arrival
- VS46 New York (JFK) 9:00 p.m. Departure ⇒ London Heathrow (LHR) 9:15 a.m. Arrival
Selected dates between 27 October and 5 November and the 19 November, VS46 operates as VS138
New York — 29 October
- VS9 London Heathrow (LHR) 3:45 p.m. Departure ⇒ New York (JFK) 6:45 p.m. Arrival
- VS10 New York (JFK) 10:00 p.m. Departure ⇒ London Heathrow (LHR) 10:15 a.m. Arrival
The above schedule is accurate at the time of publication as per the airline’s website, though it is subject to change.
In a statement to TPG, the airline said: “We’re always reviewing our fleet, and timelines around aircraft retirement are always subject to change in order to give us greater flexibility for our customers”.
This delay in A340 retirement is likely a repercussion of the ongoing issues the airline has had with the Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 engines on its 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft.
Featured photo: a Virgin Atlantic Airbus A340 lands at Heathrow Airport, by Steve Parsons – PA Images/PA Images via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.