Virgin Atlantic Turns 35
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
35 years ago today, Sir Richard Branson marked the first flight of his new airline. Now 35 years later, while other airlines have come and gone, Virgin Atlantic is still flying high.
The airline this week got to show off its newest addition to the fleet; a brand new Airbus A350-1000 named Mama Mia — which is quite a birthday present. This is the first of 12 A350s slated to be added to the airlines growing fleet of planes. The airline this week also placed and order for 14 new A330-900s. The airline has hubs at London Heathrow (LHR) and London Gatwick (LGW); from there they fly to destinations in the Caribbean, Africa, North America, the Middle East, Europe,and Asia.
With partners such as Delta and Singapore Airlines, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club members can get great value on reward redemptions for flights around the world. Those Virgin Atlantic Flying Club miles are also the currency for Virgin’s new cross-brand loyalty program, giving members even more options for reward redemptions. And don’t forget that Virgin Atlantic Flying Club has a 1:1 transfer ratio with Chase Ultimate Rewards, Amex Membership Rewards and Citi ThankYou Rewards.
So from all of us at TPG, a big “Happy Birthday” to Virgin Atlantic.
If you’re thinking about booking a flight with Virgin Atlantic or have one coming up, check out some of our reviews of what to expect onboard.
- King in the North: A Review of Virgin Atlantic Upper Class on the 747 From Manchester to Atlanta
- Lounge Lovin’: Virgin Atlantic Upper Class on the Boeing 787-9 From London to New York
- A Fine Mess: A Review of Virgin Atlantic’s Premium Economy on the A330 From London to New York
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Victor Crawshaw /Mirrorpix/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.