Virgin Atlantic Turns 35
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
35 years ago today, Sir Richard Branson marked the first flight of his new airline. Now 35 years later, while other airlines have come and gone, Virgin Atlantic is still flying high.
The airline this week got to show off its newest addition to the fleet; a brand new Airbus A350-1000 named Mama Mia — which is quite a birthday present. This is the first of 12 A350s slated to be added to the airlines growing fleet of planes. The airline this week also placed and order for 14 new A330-900s. The airline has hubs at London Heathrow (LHR) and London Gatwick (LGW); from there they fly to destinations in the Caribbean, Africa, North America, the Middle East, Europe,and Asia.
With partners such as Delta and Singapore Airlines, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club members can get great value on reward redemptions for flights around the world. Those Virgin Atlantic Flying Club miles are also the currency for Virgin’s new cross-brand loyalty program, giving members even more options for reward redemptions. And don’t forget that Virgin Atlantic Flying Club has a 1:1 transfer ratio with Chase Ultimate Rewards, Amex Membership Rewards and Citi ThankYou Rewards.
So from all of us at TPG, a big “Happy Birthday” to Virgin Atlantic.
If you’re thinking about booking a flight with Virgin Atlantic or have one coming up, check out some of our reviews of what to expect onboard.
- King in the North: A Review of Virgin Atlantic Upper Class on the 747 From Manchester to Atlanta
- Lounge Lovin’: Virgin Atlantic Upper Class on the Boeing 787-9 From London to New York
- A Fine Mess: A Review of Virgin Atlantic’s Premium Economy on the A330 From London to New York
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Victor Crawshaw /Mirrorpix/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees