Virgin Atlantic unveils Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge livery on a Boeing 747
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
May the Force be with… Virgin Atlantic. The British carrier on Wednesday became the latest airline to outfit one of its aircraft in a Star Wars-themed livery to celebrate the new Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge attraction at Disney World in Orlando.
After having left its hangar at London’s Gatwick Airport (LGW) with its new plane wrap job, the Boeing 747 will reenter service Wednesday on a flight from LGW to Orlando (MCO).
Renamed “The Falcon,” the aircraft is an 18-year-old Boeing 747-400 that was first delivered to Virgin Atlantic in May 2001. According to PlaneSpotters.net, the aircraft was originally named “Hot Lips” before taking on a Harry Potter sticker between May 2010 and January 2011.
According to flight-tracking site FlightRadar24, the aircraft flew from MCO to LGW on Sept. 14. Since then, it’s undergone its wrap job — you can watch a timelapse of the aircraft getting its new plane wrap below.
To celebrate its new livery, Virgin Holidays has launched a social media competition for the chance to win two seats on board the airline’s Ultimate Star Wars Experience between Feb. 15 and Feb. 22. If you spot the aircraft, share a photo on Instagram with the tag #TheFalcon before Oct. 9 in order to enter to win. You can find full details of the competition on the Virgin Holidays website.
Virgin becomes the latest carrier to turn one of its aircraft into a flying ad for Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge. Earlier this week, LATAM unveiled its special livery for the attraction, joining the likes of United Airlines and ANA.
All photos courtesy of Virgin Atlantic.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees