Virgin Atlantic Pilots Plan Christmas Strike
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virgin Atlantic pilots who are members of the Professional Pilots Union haven announced a strike for the peak Christmas travel season.
The union announced Friday that its pilots would stage walkouts from Dec. 22 to 25, Dec. 30 to Jan. 2 and Jan. 4 to Jan. 7. Pilots who are members of the union proposed the demonstrations after the union was excluded from talks the airline held regarding changes to pilots’ benefits. Even though this particular union represents the greatest amount of its pilots, Virgin Atlantic does not recognize PPU. Instead, the carrier only works with the British Airline Pilots Association (BALPA).
After being excluded from the benefits discussion, PPU’s members held a vote on whether to strike. Of the 72% of the pilots who voted, 71.5% voted in favor of staging the demonstrations.
“It’s the last straw; Virgin Atlantic have consistently refused to recognize the PPU as a legitimate and independent union, essentially disenfranchising our members,” Steve Johnson, spokesperson for PPU told TPG in an emailed statement. “Despite the rhetoric that consultations are inclusive of all staff and unions, in practice this doesn’t happen. We hope that Virgin acknowledge the mandate our members have given us, and help avoid strike action by recognizing the PPU and halt the benefits review that is so damaging to our members long-term security.”
The unrecognized union represents about 30% of Virgin Atlantic’s pilots. According to PPU, it sent out 304 ballots for pilots to vote on the strike action. The union quotes Virgin Atlantic stating it has 965 pilots total.
“A small number of our pilots have voted for industrial action,” a Virgin Atlantic spokesperson told TPG in an email. “Our absolute priority is to ensure that all of our customers can continue their journeys as planned this Christmas, and we’re working hard to protect all of their trips.”
The airline is not expecting flight disruptions, though it is unclear how it plans to get by during one of the busiest travel seasons with nearly a third of its pilots walking off the job.
If you are booked to travel with Virgin Atlantic on one of the affected strike days, now might be a good time to check if your card has built-in protection for delayed or canceled flights. Here’s a full list of cards with travel protection.
Featured image by Jack Taylor/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.