Virgin Atlantic Pilots Plan Christmas Strike
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virgin Atlantic pilots who are members of the Professional Pilots Union haven announced a strike for the peak Christmas travel season.
The union announced Friday that its pilots would stage walkouts from Dec. 22 to 25, Dec. 30 to Jan. 2 and Jan. 4 to Jan. 7. Pilots who are members of the union proposed the demonstrations after the union was excluded from talks the airline held regarding changes to pilots’ benefits. Even though this particular union represents the greatest amount of its pilots, Virgin Atlantic does not recognize PPU. Instead, the carrier only works with the British Airline Pilots Association (BALPA).
After being excluded from the benefits discussion, PPU’s members held a vote on whether to strike. Of the 72% of the pilots who voted, 71.5% voted in favor of staging the demonstrations.
“It’s the last straw; Virgin Atlantic have consistently refused to recognize the PPU as a legitimate and independent union, essentially disenfranchising our members,” Steve Johnson, spokesperson for PPU told TPG in an emailed statement. “Despite the rhetoric that consultations are inclusive of all staff and unions, in practice this doesn’t happen. We hope that Virgin acknowledge the mandate our members have given us, and help avoid strike action by recognizing the PPU and halt the benefits review that is so damaging to our members long-term security.”
The unrecognized union represents about 30% of Virgin Atlantic’s pilots. According to PPU, it sent out 304 ballots for pilots to vote on the strike action. The union quotes Virgin Atlantic stating it has 965 pilots total.
“A small number of our pilots have voted for industrial action,” a Virgin Atlantic spokesperson told TPG in an email. “Our absolute priority is to ensure that all of our customers can continue their journeys as planned this Christmas, and we’re working hard to protect all of their trips.”
The airline is not expecting flight disruptions, though it is unclear how it plans to get by during one of the busiest travel seasons with nearly a third of its pilots walking off the job.
If you are booked to travel with Virgin Atlantic on one of the affected strike days, now might be a good time to check if your card has built-in protection for delayed or canceled flights. Here’s a full list of cards with travel protection.
Featured image by Jack Taylor/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees