Virgin Atlantic’s London to Mumbai Flight Now Bookable With Great Biz Class Availability
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After ceasing service in 2015, Virgin Atlantic has green-lit an autumn 2019 return to Mumbai from London–Heathrow. Beginning now, you can book a ticket aboard VA’s Boeing 787-9, which will operate a daily 4,500-mile trek between London and Mumbai from Oct. 27, 2019 onward. It appears that award availability is wide open, with saver level business class availability showing across a multitude of dates.
The news comes just a month after Delta announced it would resume service to Mumbai from its hub at New York-JFK.
Delta and Virgin Atlantic’s Flight Schedules for Service to Mumbai
|Delta (effective Dec. 22, 2019)||Departure Time||Arrival Time||Scheduled Flight Time|
|New York (JFK) to Mumbai (BOM)||9:15 PM||10:50 PM (+1 Day)||16:35 Hours|
|Mumbai (BOM) to New York (JFK)||12:50 AM||6:35 AM||14:45 Hours|
|Virgin Atlantic (effective Oct. 27, 2019)||Departure Time||Arrival Time||Scheduled Flight Time|
|London (LHR) to Mumbai (BOM)||10:15 AM||12:40 AM (+1 Day)||8:55 Hours|
|Mumbai (BOM) to London (LHR)||2:55 PM||7:35 PM||10:10 Hours|
Virgin Atlantic’s service will begin in October and be flown by a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner featuring Economy (192 seats), Premium (35 seats) and Upper Class (31 seats). Delta’s service is set to resume from JFK in December onboard a retrofitted Boeing 777-200LR and will feature the new Delta One Suites in business class as well as Premium Select.
Booking an award seat
If you can swallow the lofty taxes/fees of £373 (nearly $472), booking through Virgin Atlantic’s Flying Club program is your best bet. Upper Class seats can be widely found for 37,500 miles one-way. TPG values each Flying Club point at 1.5 cents.
Meanwhile, booking the exact same seat on the same day through Delta.com will see you shelling out 75,000 SkyMiles along with the same £373 in taxes/fees. TPG values each SkyMile at 1.2 cents.
If you’re willing to make the trip in a tighter space, you can find sporadic economy and premium economy award space through VA’s Flying Club booking portal. The former will run you 10,000 miles one-way (plus £174 in taxes/fees), while the latter costs 17,500 miles one-way (plus £320 in taxes/fees).
Even if you’ve never flown Virgin Atlantic, it’s easy to earn miles in the program to use on redemptions like those shown here. Virgin Atlantic Flying Club is a transfer partner of most of the major point currencies:
- American Express Membership Rewards (1:1, instant transfer)
- Chase Ultimate Rewards (1:1, instant transfer)
- Citi ThankYou Points (1:1, instant transfer)
- Marriott Rewards (3:1 with a 5,000-mile bonus for transferring 60,000 points, <48 hour transfer time)
Plus, now is the ideal time to transfer both Citi ThankYou Points as well as Amex Membership Rewards to Virgin Atlantic, with both programs offering a limited-time transfer bonus of 30%. Citi’s transfer bonus deal runs through June 22, 2019, while Amex’s deal is valid through July 1, 2019.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Additional reporting by Darren Murph; featured image by Nicky Kelvin / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.