This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virgin Atlantic shared on Wednesday the details of some additions and changes to its route map. First up, the airline shared that it’s going to start nonstop flights between London Heathrow (LHR) and Las Vegas (LAS) beginning March 31, 2019, with tickets available for sale beginning Saturday, May 19, 2018.
The new route will be operated by three-class Boeing 787-9s offering 31 Upper Class seats, 35 Premium Economy seats and 192 economy seats. Virgin already serves Las Vegas, but from London’s Gatwick Airport (LGW) with a Boeing 747.
The new Heathrow service will replace — not supplement — the airline’s existing Gatwick flight. The move to the 789 also means an increase in premium seats on the route. “We’ve seen a growing demand from corporate travelers [for flights to Las Vegas], as Vegas is one of the largest conference centers in the world,” said Jessica Cross Brown, a spokesperson for Virgin Atlantic, who explained that the airline successfully trialed the route for tech professionals headed to CES — a popular technology trade show hosted annually in Vegas — in 2017.
In addition to the new Heathrow – Las Vegas service, the airline is adding a second daily flight between Boston (BOS) and London (LHR) beginning on March 31, 2019, which will be operated by an Airbus A330-300. Finally, Virgin will add twice-weekly seasonal nonstop flights from LHR to Barbados (BGI) — complementing its existing nonstop service from LGW. The flights will operate between December 11, 2018, and February 19, 2019 — the peak season for travel to the Caribbean.
The news of the three new routes follows Virgin’s upcoming second daily service to Johannesburg, South Africa, which begins in October of this year.
Featured image by Nick Ellis / The Points Guy.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees