Virgin Atlantic quietly removes the ability to view Flying Club award availability by month
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: We’ve added a statement from a Virgin Atlantic spokesperson to this story.
Virgin Atlantic has made a small but potentially very frustrating change to their Flying Club search engine.
Previously, when searching for flights to redeem your Virgin Points on — whether operated by Virgin Atlantic or their partner airlines like Delta or Air France — you would be shown availability on the date you had searched for, as well as three days before and after. If none of these dates worked (or there was no availability that week), you could select to view a price calendar to see availability, as well as the cost in miles and fees/taxes for an entire month.
Unfortunately, as first reported by Thrifty Traveler, this price calendar option has now quietly disappeared from the Flying Club search engine.
TPG reached out to Virgin Atlantic, who confirmed that the changes are intentional and not due to a temporary IT glitch. A Virgin Atlantic spokesperson told TPG:
To ensure the greatest accuracy when searching for reward flights, we’ve made a routine adjustment and temporarily removed the calendar view option. Customers can continue to search using our flexible dates feature, which we know is a popular option to get the most value from hard-earned Virgin Points.
The spokesperson noted that the removal of the calendar view option is temporary. But for now, it will be more time-consuming to search for award availability using Virgin Points. If you can’t find seats within a few days of your original search date you will have to search again, and only your new search date and the three days on either side will be shown.
Virgin has come under criticism lately for both raising their already astronomical fuel surcharges on premium cabin redemptions to and from the United States and releasing virtually no Upper-Class award availability on popular routes.
We will keep you posted on any developments in the Flying Club platform, but for now, you may have to spend a lot more time finding the seats to redeem your Virgin Points.
Featured image by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees