Virgin Atlantic Takes Delivery of Its New Plane for the JFK Route, the A350-1000
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The first of Virgin Atlantic’s 12 Airbus A350-1000 aircraft has arrived at its new home in London. The aircraft, which is registered as G-VLUX and is named Red Velvet, made its way to London Gatwick over the weekend.
G-VLUX landed Saturday evening after completing its delivery flight from Toulouse as flight number VIR853P. Though the aircraft will be based at Heathrow (LHR), it will spend some time at Gatwick (LGW) to undergo maintenance as well as receive visits from the airline’s corporate team, whose offices are close by.
In September, the aircraft will take its first passengers on its inaugural flight to New York JFK. The airline is planning on dedicating this and several more of its A350 aircraft to the highly competitive transatlantic route and expects to eventually operate a total of four daily A350 flights to JFK.
Virgin Atlantic is introducing a brand new Upper Class suite on its A350s. The inward-facing old herringbone layout is no more and has been replaced with a 1-2-1 configuration. Virgin has also replaced its onboard bar with “The Loft”, a space designed to recreate the airline’s Clubhouse experience.
Can’t wait to fly it? Here is the schedule so far.
Featured image: Rendering courtesy of Airbus
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.