Virgin Atlantic Takes Delivery of Its New Plane for the JFK Route, the A350-1000
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The first of Virgin Atlantic’s 12 Airbus A350-1000 aircraft has arrived at its new home in London. The aircraft, which is registered as G-VLUX and is named Red Velvet, made its way to London Gatwick over the weekend.
G-VLUX landed Saturday evening after completing its delivery flight from Toulouse as flight number VIR853P. Though the aircraft will be based at Heathrow (LHR), it will spend some time at Gatwick (LGW) to undergo maintenance as well as receive visits from the airline’s corporate team, whose offices are close by.
In September, the aircraft will take its first passengers on its inaugural flight to New York JFK. The airline is planning on dedicating this and several more of its A350 aircraft to the highly competitive transatlantic route and expects to eventually operate a total of four daily A350 flights to JFK.
Virgin Atlantic is introducing a brand new Upper Class suite on its A350s. The inward-facing old herringbone layout is no more and has been replaced with a 1-2-1 configuration. Virgin has also replaced its onboard bar with “The Loft”, a space designed to recreate the airline’s Clubhouse experience.
Can’t wait to fly it? Here is the schedule so far.
Featured image: Rendering courtesy of Airbus
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees