View From Above: California Wildfires in Photos
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As three deadly wildfires continue to blaze in California, people have taken to social media to share photos and videos of the devastation — and highlight the bravery of the people fighting to put them out. Though the Camp Fire in northern California and the Woolsey and Hill fires in southern California have mostly impacted residents of Paradise, Malibu, Agoura Hills and Calabasas, they’re causing the evacuation of hotels and Airbnbs in the area. All the major domestic carriers — American, Delta, United, Southwest and JetBlue — have issued waivers for travelers affected by the wildfires.
Los Angeles County and Ventura County firefighters have been working around the clock to contain the flames. The Los Angeles County Fire Department Air Operations Section has been sharing shocking photos on its Instagram and Twitter accounts.
View this post on Instagram
BRUSH FIRE 10/31/18 Multiple @LACoFireAirOps water dropping helicopters assisted @LACountyFD with stopping the forward progress of a wildfire near structures in Topanga Canyon. @losangelesfiredepartment @lafdairops @lasdhq and @chp_westvalley all assisted. #SantaMariaFire #multimission #teamwork #Firehawk #helicopter #Firefighter #Paramedic #Pilot #LACoFD #LACountyFire #LosAngeles #firefighting #wildfire #brushfire #CAfire #LAfire #Topanga #TopangaCanyon
A post shared by LA County Fire Air Operations (@lacofireairops) on
Footage captured from a firefighting Sikorsky Firehawk helicopter tracing the Pacific Coast Highway shows the relentless blaze surging over the hillside.
VIDEO: @LACoFireAirOps Firehawk helicopter flying along Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu on the way to protect life and property. This is a historic event. Please follow the direction of local authorities. (Original video, ok to use with credit) @VCFD @LACoFD #WoolseyFire pic.twitter.com/SvZSfipzfk
— LACoFireAirOps (@LACoFireAirOps) November 10, 2018
Veteran firefighter Michael Dubron has also been sharing videos of the fires on his Twitter account.
Thanks to homeowners swimming pool providing water for @Sikorsky #Firehawks on #WoolseyFire in #Malibu Multi agency response @LACOFD @LAFD @VCFD @CAL_FIRE @LASDHQ to name a few. #Teamwork from all agencies and units. @LACoFDPIO pic.twitter.com/US69KTElJo
— Michael Dubron (@MichaelDubron) November 10, 2018
And other witnesses have been posting photos taken from up in the air over Los Angeles, where the thick clouds of smoke threaten to hamper operations in and out of LAX.
— Michael Dubron (@MichaelDubron) November 9, 2018
— Michael Dubron (@MichaelDubron) November 9, 2018View this post on Instagram
Yesterday before landing in #LosAngeles we flew over the #city and had a view of the #fire Today we got news that one of our #music #friends mr. Lee Ritenour lost his house like so many others in that area. Thoughts go out to everyone affected by this tragedy 🙏 . . . #LA #california #malibu
A post shared by MusiqNote (@musiqnote) on
Feature image by Francine Orr/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees