View From Above: California Wildfires in Photos
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As three deadly wildfires continue to blaze in California, people have taken to social media to share photos and videos of the devastation — and highlight the bravery of the people fighting to put them out. Though the Camp Fire in northern California and the Woolsey and Hill fires in southern California have mostly impacted residents of Paradise, Malibu, Agoura Hills and Calabasas, they’re causing the evacuation of hotels and Airbnbs in the area. All the major domestic carriers — American, Delta, United, Southwest and JetBlue — have issued waivers for travelers affected by the wildfires.
Los Angeles County and Ventura County firefighters have been working around the clock to contain the flames. The Los Angeles County Fire Department Air Operations Section has been sharing shocking photos on its Instagram and Twitter accounts.
View this post on Instagram
BRUSH FIRE 10/31/18 Multiple @LACoFireAirOps water dropping helicopters assisted @LACountyFD with stopping the forward progress of a wildfire near structures in Topanga Canyon. @losangelesfiredepartment @lafdairops @lasdhq and @chp_westvalley all assisted. #SantaMariaFire #multimission #teamwork #Firehawk #helicopter #Firefighter #Paramedic #Pilot #LACoFD #LACountyFire #LosAngeles #firefighting #wildfire #brushfire #CAfire #LAfire #Topanga #TopangaCanyon
A post shared by LA County Fire Air Operations (@lacofireairops) on
Footage captured from a firefighting Sikorsky Firehawk helicopter tracing the Pacific Coast Highway shows the relentless blaze surging over the hillside.
VIDEO: @LACoFireAirOps Firehawk helicopter flying along Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu on the way to protect life and property. This is a historic event. Please follow the direction of local authorities. (Original video, ok to use with credit) @VCFD @LACoFD #WoolseyFire pic.twitter.com/SvZSfipzfk
— LACoFireAirOps (@LACoFireAirOps) November 10, 2018
Veteran firefighter Michael Dubron has also been sharing videos of the fires on his Twitter account.
Thanks to homeowners swimming pool providing water for @Sikorsky #Firehawks on #WoolseyFire in #Malibu Multi agency response @LACOFD @LAFD @VCFD @CAL_FIRE @LASDHQ to name a few. #Teamwork from all agencies and units. @LACoFDPIO pic.twitter.com/US69KTElJo
— Michael Dubron (@MichaelDubron) November 10, 2018
And other witnesses have been posting photos taken from up in the air over Los Angeles, where the thick clouds of smoke threaten to hamper operations in and out of LAX.
— Michael Dubron (@MichaelDubron) November 9, 2018
— Michael Dubron (@MichaelDubron) November 9, 2018View this post on Instagram
Yesterday before landing in #LosAngeles we flew over the #city and had a view of the #fire Today we got news that one of our #music #friends mr. Lee Ritenour lost his house like so many others in that area. Thoughts go out to everyone affected by this tragedy 🙏 . . . #LA #california #malibu
A post shared by MusiqNote (@musiqnote) on
Feature image by Francine Orr/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.