Video: Watch Virgin Orbit Successfully Fly Its 747 Satellite Launcher
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The words “Virgin” and “space” have become synonymous. One way or another, Sir Richard Branson is going to roll out the red carpet for humans to more easily visit the next frontier. Virgin Orbit, sister company to Virgin Galactic, has a slightly different mission. It’s looking to fly small satellites to space using a retrofitted Boeing 747 as the launchpad. Because, you know, launching satellites from a stationary platform on Earth is just too easy.
Earlier this week, a “specially modified 747-400 carrying a 70-foot-long rocket under its wing soared through the air as part of a successful test flight for Virgin Orbit’s LauncherOne.” Nicknamed Cosmic Girl, the former passenger airliner conducted a faultless test flight above Victorville, CA, which is big news for clients hoping to utilize the service in early 2019. The flight lasted 80 minutes in total, during which Virgin Orbit’s flight crew assessed the take-off, landing and low-speed handling and performance of the integrated system.
Virgin Orbit claims that its flying launchpad will enable you “to take full control of your satellite’s journey to space,” skipping long lines at spaceports and providing a more affordable way to get a satellite into orbit.
Feast your eyes on the test flight above, and if you’re looking to actually step foot onto a retired 747 without paying Virgin Orbit a small fortune to launch a satellite, consider a visit to the Delta Flight Museum in Atlanta (ATL).
Featured image courtesy of Virgin Orbit
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees