Video: TPG flies a 777 flight simulator at Delta headquarters
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We just took our AvGeek dreams to the next level.
On this week’s episode of “Being The Points Guy,” Brian Kelly takes us behind the scenes at Delta’s headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia, where he even got to be the “Captain” of a 777. Well, okay, not with the four stripes on the uniform, and not on an actual 777 — Brian was in a full-motion flight simulator. Those sims, however, are pretty much the same as the real thing; that’s what pilots train on.
Brian was accompanied on his “flight” by Scott Gottschang, a Delta flight instructor who is also a first officer at the airline and an active pilot on the 777. In addition to his impressive résumé, Gottschang says landing is the most fun part of flying. As you’ll see, he coaches Kelly through the process. (Watch the instruments and listen to the synthetic voice calling out the altitude!)
In fact, if you didn’t know any better, it looks like they’re flying a real plane. While it wasn’t a 15-and-a-half-hour flight, as The Points Guy himself joked it might be, it was clearly an exhilarating time.
And as the old saying goes, any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.
So buckle up and prepare for takeoff as we bring you along on a little ride through the simulated sky. Just don’t forget to subscribe at the bottom of the page for even more AvGeek, points, miles, hotel and travel content.
Enjoy this video? Check back in regularly for more episodes of “Being The Points Guy” every Thursday. And if you’ve fallen behind, catch up here.
Featured photo: a Boeing 777 flight simulator cockpit, by aviation-images.com/Universal Images Group via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.