Video: Plane Lands With No Front Wheels in Peru
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A commercial flight with no front wheels made an emergency landing in Lima, Peru, Sunday evening, causing the nose of the aircraft to spark against the runway.
Otra toma del Bombardier Q400 de LC Perú aterrizando sin tren de nariz en el Aeropuerto de Lima Jorge Chávez. pic.twitter.com/LOtyitScS0
— Aviación Guayaquil (@AviacionGYE) August 19, 2018
LC Peru flight 1323 was scheduled to land in Ayacucho, a city in south-central Peru, when it made the emergency landing in Lima. The aircraft, reportedly a Bombardier Dash-8 Q400, was forced into a belly-landing because the front landing gear wheels did not release as it reached the runway. The initial reason for the diversion is still under investigation.
Fortunately, all 59 passengers and five crew members made it off the plan safely with no injuries.
“We appreciate the excellent maneuver of our pilot who managed to control the situation in an admirable way,” LC Peru said in a statement, Express reported.
Although it might seem scary and dramatic due to the sparks, aviation expert and pilot Patrick Smith told TPG, the dangers for such a landing are minimal. “The trick is to land at the slowest speed possible and hold off pressure,” Smith said. ” You also want to touch down slowly for obvious reasons.” He added that landings with missing wheels or tires are “way, way down on the list of hazards” for modern aircraft.
A similar, high-profile incident happened in 2005 when JetBlue flight 292’s front landing gear deployed at a sideways angle. That plane, an Airbus A320, made a dramatic emergency landing at LAX. Video shows sparks flying off the front of the aircraft, but all 140 on board were unharmed.
Pilots are trained to deal with situations like these and there are several steps passengers can take to ensure they’re the safest they can be during a flight emergency. This isn’t the first time a plane has to make an emergency landing belly landing.
On Tuesday, a private aircraft carrying 16 people, including rapper Post Malone, landed safely after after blowing out its two front tires upon takeoff. The Gulfstream IV landed without incident at New York’s Stewart Airport (SWF). TPG Editor-at-Large Zach Honig answered our readers’ questions about planes landing with blown out tires.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees