Video of Deaf Couple Accusing Delta Air Lines of Discrimination Goes Viral
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A video of a deaf couple from California sharing their account of discrimination by a Delta Air Lines agent at Detroit Metro Airport (DTW) has gone on viral on Facebook.
Socorro Garcia and Melissa Elmira Yingst tell their story from a hotel in Detroit near the airport. They had to stay the night there after being told by police that they would not be permitted to board their flight home.
The story started when Garcia and Yingst arrived at DTW to board their Delta flight to Los Angeles (LAX). Allegedly, they attempted to communicate with the gate agent (“Felicia” according to her name tag) by using an iPhone to ask if they could be seated together despite having bought separate tickets. Felicia, after refusing to use the iPhone to communicate, eventually hand-wrote that the flight was full.
However, the trouble really began when Garcia tried to write a follow-up question on the same piece of paper and Felicia threw it away.
“I walked to the trash to pick it up but she pushed me away. Melissa was stunned and took out her iPhone to take a video of her and then Felicia turned on her iPhone to film us,” said Garcia in the video. Things only escalated further when the gate agent called the police on the couple, accusing them of assaulting her. Shortly after, the police said there was “nothing they could do” for Garcia and Yingst and advised them to book another flight.
“Even though I have seen this many times, it was a huge shock when it happened to us. The feeling of being oppressed is very traumatic,” said Yingst in the video.
Delta told the Detroit Free Press that Yingst and Garcia weren’t permitted to board because they went behind the gate counter and pushed past the agent, which isn’t allowed. They also said that the gate agent accommodated the couple by informing them that flight was full and that she would check with the flight crew to see if someone aboard the plane was willing to give up a seat.
“Delta is in contact with two customers who reported having difficulty communicating with a gate agent prior to their flight. We are reviewing the situation with our Detroit team and will work with these customers to better understand what transpired,” said Delta spokesman Michael Thomas in an email to TPG. “As always, we take situations like these seriously and we are using this as an opportunity to learn and improve.”
Delta also refunded the couple’s tickets.
As for the couple — they’ve since returned to Los Angeles on a flight by a different airline. “This has been very traumatizing for us and we right now are currently collecting resources to figure out the best way to remedy this situation,” Yingst wrote in an email to the Free Press Monday.
Featured image by MELMIRA via Facebook.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees