Video: Man Proposes to His KLM Flight Attendant Girlfriend at Amsterdam’s Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Love is in the air.
In the spirit of Valentine’s day, KLM lent a helping hand in a man’s proposal to his flight attendant girlfriend. The man, Frensch de Groot, reached out the airline six months before the big day.
“Dear KLM, my girlfriend works at KLM Cityhopper. Flying is a huge part of her life, as you can imagine. But sometimes it seems as if her love for flying is bigger than her love for me. There has to be a balance, wouldn’t you say” he wrote to KLM over Whatsapp. “Bearing this in mind, I want to propose to her in an unforgettably original way. And it would be great if this could somehow be done in combination with KLM, for example before, during or after one of her flights. So, my big question to you is as follows: could you and would you lend me a helping hand?”
The couple had been together for eight years at the time, and Colette, Frensch’s girlfriend, had been dropping hints that she was ready to take the next step in their relationship for a while now. “In the meantime, we set to work at KLM planning the top-secret romantic interlude. Frensch visited headquarters for a day and together we came up with a plan about how things would go,” said Marjolein Dercksen, a part-time KLM cabin attendant that played an instrumental part in the romantic gesture.
After months of preparation, the big day rolled around. KLM rolled out its blue carpet and decorated the Crew Centre at Amsterdam’s Schipol Airport (AMS) with red, heart-shaped balloons and confetti. Then, they taped the bride-to-be’s surprised reaction.
In case you can’t access the video, Colette said yes. The couple hopes to get married within the next year and a half.
Featured image by Burak Karademir via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees