Video: Man Proposes to His KLM Flight Attendant Girlfriend at Amsterdam’s Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Love is in the air.
In the spirit of Valentine’s day, KLM lent a helping hand in a man’s proposal to his flight attendant girlfriend. The man, Frensch de Groot, reached out the airline six months before the big day.
“Dear KLM, my girlfriend works at KLM Cityhopper. Flying is a huge part of her life, as you can imagine. But sometimes it seems as if her love for flying is bigger than her love for me. There has to be a balance, wouldn’t you say” he wrote to KLM over Whatsapp. “Bearing this in mind, I want to propose to her in an unforgettably original way. And it would be great if this could somehow be done in combination with KLM, for example before, during or after one of her flights. So, my big question to you is as follows: could you and would you lend me a helping hand?”
The couple had been together for eight years at the time, and Colette, Frensch’s girlfriend, had been dropping hints that she was ready to take the next step in their relationship for a while now. “In the meantime, we set to work at KLM planning the top-secret romantic interlude. Frensch visited headquarters for a day and together we came up with a plan about how things would go,” said Marjolein Dercksen, a part-time KLM cabin attendant that played an instrumental part in the romantic gesture.
After months of preparation, the big day rolled around. KLM rolled out its blue carpet and decorated the Crew Centre at Amsterdam’s Schipol Airport (AMS) with red, heart-shaped balloons and confetti. Then, they taped the bride-to-be’s surprised reaction.
In case you can’t access the video, Colette said yes. The couple hopes to get married within the next year and a half.
Featured image by Burak Karademir via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.