Video: Drunk and Violent Passenger Causes Scoot Flight to Divert to Sydney
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Scoot Airlines flight from Gold Coast Airport (OOL) to Singapore (SIN) had to divert to Sydney on Monday when a drunk man became physically violent and began lashing out at other passengers and crew. The incident occurred less than two hours into flight TR7 and resulted in the man being physically restrained.
Fellow passenger, Rico David Garilli, caught the entire ordeal on video.
According to Garilli’s caption, the trouble apparently started brewing after the man “started drinking heavy” following an announcement that the flight was going to be delayed. According to flight tracking site FlightRadar24, the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner was scheduled to take off at 9:20am local time, but didn’t depart Gold Coast until 12:09pm.
Then, about 20 minutes after takeoff, the man started to pick fights with other passengers.
“Am I being kicked off the flight now, ey?” The man can be heard shouting as he attacks another passenger. Eventually, he is restrained and the flight crew attempts to calm him down. However, this doesn’t work for long — as the man flings off his shirt and does a bee-line down the aisle to attack someone else. He is, again, forcibly restrained.
But this time, the pilot makes the call to divert the plane to Sydney (SYD).
According to The Independent, police and paramedics removed the passenger upon arrival in Sydney, where he was taken to St. George Hospital at around 4:30pm. The diversion reportedly caused further delays for the passengers aboard flight TR7.
“Can’t say I’m pleased with how Scoot handled the situation especially the aftermath as we were expected to stay in airport chairs and were not provided a hotel for the night,” passenger Bea Garcia said on Facebook. “When we complained and explained that our flight was more than 7.5 hours away, we were simply told to email feedback and complain.”
Garilli’s video has since gone viral on Facebook, garnering more than 164K views.
Featured image by Fabrizio Gandolfo/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees