Video: Drunk and Violent Passenger Causes Scoot Flight to Divert to Sydney
A Scoot Airlines flight from Gold Coast Airport (OOL) to Singapore (SIN) had to divert to Sydney on Monday when a drunk man became physically violent and began lashing out at other passengers and crew. The incident occurred less than two hours into flight TR7 and resulted in the man being physically restrained.
Fellow passenger, Rico David Garilli, caught the entire ordeal on video.
According to Garilli’s caption, the trouble apparently started brewing after the man “started drinking heavy” following an announcement that the flight was going to be delayed. According to flight tracking site FlightRadar24, the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner was scheduled to take off at 9:20am local time, but didn’t depart Gold Coast until 12:09pm.
Then, about 20 minutes after takeoff, the man started to pick fights with other passengers.
“Am I being kicked off the flight now, ey?” The man can be heard shouting as he attacks another passenger. Eventually, he is restrained and the flight crew attempts to calm him down. However, this doesn’t work for long — as the man flings off his shirt and does a bee-line down the aisle to attack someone else. He is, again, forcibly restrained.
But this time, the pilot makes the call to divert the plane to Sydney (SYD).
According to The Independent, police and paramedics removed the passenger upon arrival in Sydney, where he was taken to St. George Hospital at around 4:30pm. The diversion reportedly caused further delays for the passengers aboard flight TR7.
“Can’t say I’m pleased with how Scoot handled the situation especially the aftermath as we were expected to stay in airport chairs and were not provided a hotel for the night,” passenger Bea Garcia said on Facebook. “When we complained and explained that our flight was more than 7.5 hours away, we were simply told to email feedback and complain.”
Garilli’s video has since gone viral on Facebook, garnering more than 164K views.
Featured image by Fabrizio Gandolfo/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.