Video: American Jet Nearly Collides With Van During Takeoff
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A new wild video posted to social media reveals a near miss between an American Airlines aircraft and van on the runway in Branson, Missouri.
On June 27, 2018, American Airlines flight 3360, operated by Envoy Air, was scheduled to depart from Springfield-Branson National Airport (SGF) en route to Chicago O’Hare (ORD) at 12:41pm.
During its takeoff roll, the Embraer 145, which was carrying 50 passengers and three crew members, nearly hit an airport operations vehicle while it crossed a runway. Recently released video taken from the airport’s control tower shows just how close the aircraft came to hitting the van.
Neither the aircraft nor the vehicle were damaged, and no injuries were reported, according to the National Transportation Safety Board, which is still investigating the event.
The driver of the van, Jim Brown, filed a report detailing the incident, which was obtained by the Springfield News-Leader. Brown was driving himself and two others to an airport employee barbecue.
“I decided that due to the time limitations we would cross the runway in order to make it in time,” Brown said in the report. “Just as I had cleared runway 20 the Ground Controller cleared me to cross runway 14, I repeated back cleared to cross runway 14 and proceeded at a high rate of speed (to minimize time on the taxiway and runway) down taxiway Uniform.”
Brown’s two passengers confirmed that the air traffic controller cleared him to cross runway 14, and yet, Brown was unsure if he looked both ways before crossing the runway.
“It is generally my practice to look at both ends of any runway I cross, but I honestly cannot say for sure that I looked both ways or how far down the runway I might have looked,” Brown said.
The NTSB’s report says “visual meteorological conditions prevailed” meaning weather was not preventing either the pilots or Brown from seeing each other.
“About halfway across runway 14 the right front seat passenger said ‘Oh S[***]’ I looked out the right passenger window to see the landing lights of an E145 (passenger jet) coming down the runway,” said Brown.
Even after accelerating to get out of the way, the aircraft came so close that Brown could hear it overhead.
“The nose gear had already rotated, I do not know if the mains had left the ground or not. I accelerated across the runway and heard the aircraft overhead just as we were leaving the runway surface.”
“The airport takes safety very seriously. As such, we are reviewing internal operating procedures that may have contributed to this incident,” Springfield-Branson airport spokesman Kent Boyd told TPG. “The driver of the van is an airport employee. We cannot comment further because the incident is under investigation and in addition, we do not comment about personnel matters.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.