Victim of Ryanair Passenger’s Racist Rant Says Airline Has Not Reached Out to Her
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A white male passenger verbally attacked a black woman from his window seat onboard a Ryanair flight Thursday, and the airline’s reaction (or lack thereof) has sparked widespread backlash.
Now, three days after the racist rant, the woman, 77-year-old Delsie Gayle, says she has still not heard anything from Ryanair about the egregious incident.
Gayle sat in the same row as the man as he demanded she move seats and called her an “ugly black bastard.” The unidentified man also demands Gayle, who was traveling with her daughter, stop speaking to him in a “f—–g foreign language,” even though she is speaking English throughout the encounter. The racist tirade was captured on video by fellow passenger David Lawrence and posted on YouTube and Facebook, where it has garnered more than 5 million views.
Gayle’s family told HuffPost UK that they are “surprised, disgusted and hurt” that the airline has not made any contact with their family. In an interview with British channel ITV, Gayle describes feeling “very low” because of the incident. “He paid a fare to go on holiday; I’ve paid mine, so why does he abuse me for that due to the color of my skin?” Gayle said to ITV. “He do it with me and he gets away, he’ll do it to somebody else.”
Ryanair told the BBC that the airline does not tolerate “unruly behavior” like this and that “disruptive or abusive behavior like this will result in passengers being banned from travel.” Additionally, the airline tweeted out a one-sentence response to the video.
Statement: We are aware of this video and have reported this matter to Essex Police
— Ryanair (@Ryanair) October 21, 2018
People are threatening to boycott the airline because Ryanair’s crew did not remove the man from the flight.
Here is the racist bigot you ALLOWED to racially discriminate an elderly lady on your flight and let him have his way by moving the VICTIM rather than offloading him and passing him onto the police #SayNoToRacism boycott @Ryanair @RyanairFlights pic.twitter.com/4hZzv6Uj25
— JFT 96 (@Aviationlfc) October 21, 2018
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees