‘Verbally Abusive’ Airline Passenger Refuses to Check Bag, Causes 4-Hour Delay
A United Airlines passenger caused a flight from Indianapolis (IND) to Newark (EWR) to be delayed more than four hours on Monday when she refused to check her luggage after her bag would not fit in the aircraft overhead bin.
The airline says the unidentified female passenger became “verbally abusive” to the cabin crew that was instructing her to check the bag.
“When we got on the plane, she asked for my help with her suitcase,” passenger Ben Barrick told the IndyStar on Tuesday. “I couldn’t get it in the overhead and a flight attendant said she would have to check the luggage.” Barrick says the woman became “belligerent” when the cabin crew asked her to gate check the bag when boarding was completed.
After a 20-minute standoff, all other passengers on UA Flight 3708 were asked to deplane the E170 aircraft because the woman was not budging. United said it had to order a completely different aircraft to accommodate the other customers.
“A customer on United Express flight 3708 from Indianapolis to Newark was asked to check her oversized bag, and she refused to do so,” Untied said in a statement to the IndyStar. “She became verbally abusive to the crew and they asked her to leave the aircraft. The customer refused and all customers were asked to deplane. To minimize the inconvenience to our customers, we arranged for a different aircraft to make the flight from Indianapolis to Newark.”
“Most people were not really that upset,” Barrick said of the other flyers on the plane. “Most were in good spirits and laughing,” though he added some passengers were scolding the woman as they disembarked.
The flight, which was scheduled for a 7:05pm takeoff and was originally delayed due to weather, did not takeoff until 12:17am.
Reportedly, the woman did deplane eventually.
H/T: Fox News
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees