Summer vacations to Greece look promising for Americans this year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Tuesday, Greece’s Tourism Minister Harry Theocharis revealed that travel will be possible for all tourists this summer, irrespective of their country of residence.
“Greece is ready with a complete protocol for summer 2021,” Theocharis said. “Tourists will be welcome if before travel they are either vaccinated, or have antibodies, or test negative. All tourists will be subject to random testing.”
Sign up to receive the daily TPG newsletter for more travel news!
The sun-soaked nation will reportedly seek to completely reopen to tourists by mid-May, Reuters reports.
Tourism accounts for around one-fifth of the Greek economy, also employing one in five workers. It’s for this reason that the Greek government is prioritizing the vaccination of its hospitality and tourism workers to ensure the safety of both the workers and those who wish to take a well-earned vacation in Greece this summer.
Greece is an incredibly popular destination for Americans. So much so that Emirates recently announced it would be reinstating its route connecting New York with the Greek capital Athens. From there, it’s only a short flight or ferry ride before arriving on idyllic islands such as Santorini.
The news comes as countries around the world are announcing that tourists will be welcomed back with open arms, so long as they are vaccinated.
In conjunction with entry regulations for vaccinated tourists, a series of vaccine or digital health passports have come into development. It is hoped this will make for a more streamlined and secure journey for travelers who will be able to use the technology to upload documentation pertaining to COVID-19 vaccination or negative test result information.
Many countries have opted to introduce “red” or “high-risk” lists throughout the pandemic. This generally means that citizens from countries that feature on such a list are either completely banned from visiting or have to undergo strict quarantine measures on arrival.
For Americans, the U.S. has featured on such lists for much of the pandemic. However, there are now more than 60 countries and territories where Americans are once again able to travel.
Featured image by Daniel Ross/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees