4 ways to use your Amex Platinum’s Uber credit while at home
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with the latest information.
Your credit card benefits can significantly offset the annual fee on a card — but that only applies if you actually can make use of the perks.
For instance, one of the upsides to having The Platinum Card® from American Express is an up to $200 annual Uber Cash (for use in the U.S.). The credit is split into monthly up to $15 increments, except for December, when you receive an up to $35 in credit.
That Uber benefit — along with other perks such as lounge access, an up to $200 annual airline fee credit, and hotel and car rental elite status — can substantially offset the Platinum card’s $695 annual fee (see rates and fees). Enrollment required for select benefits.
However, with coronavirus limiting how much you’re leaving home, you may find it more difficult to use your soon-to-expire monthly Uber credit. Or perhaps, you don’t need to take an Uber ride since you have a car or take public transportation.
Here are four options to make use of your Amex Platinum Uber credit without taking a ride.
Use your credit with Uber Eats
The monthly Uber credit that comes with your Platinum card doesn’t just work for rides — it works for food orders too. More specifically, the credit applies to pickup and delivery through Uber Eats. That up to $15 monthly credit can be used to score a meal delivered from your favorite local spot.
Even better, with many restaurants closed again for indoor dining, the only way to support some small businesses is through pickup or delivery. This seems like the ideal way to have a meal at home, support a local establishment and make use of that Uber credit.
Use your credit toward Uber Groceries
Earlier in 2020, Uber launched a grocery delivery service in select cities through the Uber Eats app. As of this writing, the service is available in Miami, Dallas and New York, with more cities launching soon.
Grocery delivery services have been a popular option during the pandemic and Uber is joining an array of services such as Instacart and Amazon Fresh.
Give your Uber Cash to someone else
If you still don’t have a use for Uber credit, there’s probably someone out there who would appreciate a ride (or a meal). While you can’t actually transfer your Uber credit to another user, you can request a ride or food delivery for a person you know.
Perhaps you have a friend or neighbor who would love a free ride to work or a meal. Or you know an essential worker on the front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic. You could offer to call them an Uber or order food delivery — and ensure you’re using that credit.
Try asking Amex for a statement credit for that month
If you have exhausted all your options, American Express may be willing to give you a statement credit for your unused Uber credit on a case-by-case basis for that month.
Earlier this year, there were a handful of reports that some Amex Platinum cardholders were successful in requesting a statement credit for that month. In fact, I used Amex’s live chat feature to request this back in April when I wasn’t sure if I was going to use my credit. I was given a $15 credit almost immediately.
Several members of our Facebook community group, TPG Lounge, reported the same outcome. Again, this is on a case-by-case basis and should only be utilized once.
You might be stuck at home, but don’t let your Amex Platinum Uber Cash go to waste. Even with travel and transportation more limited, there are still ways to use your monthly credit.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum card, please click here.
Featured photo by Uber.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Apply and select your preferred metal Card design: classic Platinum Card®, Platinum x Kehinde Wiley, or Platinum x Julie Mehretu.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax.
- American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. There are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on eligible Equinox memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees