Last chance: How to make sure you’ve used your Amex airline-fee credit before the year ends
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express offers multiple premium travel rewards cards, some of which come with perks that will reset at the end of the year. You’re leaving money on the table if you don’t use these benefits before they reset.
Multiple American Express cards offer an airline-fee credit that resets at the end of each calendar year. As the end of the 2019 approaches, make sure you’ve completely used the airline-fee credit that’s offered by the following American Express cards:
- Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express: Up to $250 credit
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: Up to $200 credit
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express: Up to $200 credit
- American Express® Gold Card: Up to $100 credit
In order to check your progress toward using this credit, follow these steps:
- Log in to your American Express account
- Click the Benefits tab
- Either click the Travel tab or just scroll down on the main benefits page to find the airline-fee credit
You’ll see a progress bar that shows how much you have remaining of your credit.
If you’ve used all of your credit, it will instead display:
Technically, the airline-fee credit is meant to be used toward incidentals like checked baggage fees, seat assignment fees and airline lounge passes. However, depending on how airlines code certain purchases, you may also get reimbursement for other types of purchases with an airline. Check out the following articles for our advice on selecting an airline and our research on what types of airline purchases may be reimbursed:
- Choosing an airline for your Amex Platinum $200 airline fee credit
- What still triggers the Amex Airline incidental fee reimbursements?
- Which American Airlines expenses trigger the American Express airline fee credit?
- Do Amex airline fee credits cover mileage boosters?
- Do award ticket fees trigger the Amex Platinum airline fee credit?
If you have the Amex Platinum, there are two other benefits that will reset at the end of the year: your $35 December Uber credit and your July-through-December $50 Saks Fifth Avenue statement credit. Likewise, if you have the Amex Business Platinum, you’ll want to ensure you use your July-through-December up to $100 Dell statement credit. And, if you have the Amex Gold you’ll want to make sure to use your $10 December dining credit. Although these credits are smaller than the airline-fee credits on each card, they’re still worth taking advantage of before the end of the year to get maximum value from your card.
Featured photo by Isabelle Raphael/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more when you select one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees