The US won’t impose widespread lockdowns again, despite spread of delta variant
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
America’s top doctor on infectious diseases has said the country will not need to undergo another round of widespread lockdowns, despite the rise of the delta variant of COVID-19.
For more TPG travel news and tips delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter
Speaking with ABC’s “This Week” on Aug. 1, Dr. Anthony Fauci warned that the state of the pandemic will continue to deteriorate before it gets better, but believes the U.S. has vaccinated enough people to avoid a similar situation to last winter, when the spread of the virus was out of control and virtually all of the country was contending with some sort of lockdown measures, as reported by Reuters.
Related: What to know about the delta variant
Fauci said, “I don’t think we’re gonna see lockdowns. I think we have enough of the percentage of people in the country — not enough to crush the outbreak — but I believe enough to not allow us to get into the situation we were in last winter. But things are going to get worse.”
According to Reuters, cases of the delta variant have roughly doubled in the last 10 days, and it’s primarily infected those who have yet to be vaccinated against COVID-19, though there has been a comparatively small number of “breakthrough cases” among vaccinated people.
The rapid spread of the variant may end up being a setback for our still-recovering economy, potentially leading to a slowdown in the job market that’s begun to pick up in recent months. However, the increasing prevalence of the variant has also led to an uptick in the rate of vaccination throughout the U.S. after it lagged for weeks following the peak rates we saw in the spring.
Related: Warnings about travel to Las Vegas
COVID-19 vaccines are available free of charge to anyone 12 years old and up in the United States.
Featured photo by Nicole Kwiatkowski via Shutterstock.com.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees