US Warns Airlines to Use ‘Caution’ in Iran’s Air Space
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Federal Aviation Administration issued a new warning to US airlines on Sunday to “exercise caution” when using Iranian air space due to military activity.
The new warning from the federal aviation body was issued on the day that last year’s similar cautionary alert expired. This year’s bulletin warns US commercial carriers that there’s military activity taking place in Iran’s air space related to the ongoing conflict in Syria. The warning also noted that an unidentified US airline was intercepted by fighter jets in Iranian airspace in December 2017.
After US President Donald Trump exited the Iran nuclear deal in May, which lifted government economic sanctions on the Middle Eastern nation in exchange for Iran halting its nuclear weapon development program, US airlines and international carriers have been pulling their service to Iran’s capital city of Tehran. In the wake of the US’ dissolution of the agreement, KLM, Air France, British Airways and Greek airline Aegean have all nixed their routes to Iran.
Alitalia, the Lufthansa Group, Kuwait Airways, Qatar Airways, Emirates and Turkish Airlines still operate direct flights to Iran and have not yet announced plans to end the routes.
Featured image by Scott Eells/Bloomberg via Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees