US Warns Airlines to Use ‘Caution’ in Iran’s Air Space
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Federal Aviation Administration issued a new warning to US airlines on Sunday to “exercise caution” when using Iranian air space due to military activity.
The new warning from the federal aviation body was issued on the day that last year’s similar cautionary alert expired. This year’s bulletin warns US commercial carriers that there’s military activity taking place in Iran’s air space related to the ongoing conflict in Syria. The warning also noted that an unidentified US airline was intercepted by fighter jets in Iranian airspace in December 2017.
After US President Donald Trump exited the Iran nuclear deal in May, which lifted government economic sanctions on the Middle Eastern nation in exchange for Iran halting its nuclear weapon development program, US airlines and international carriers have been pulling their service to Iran’s capital city of Tehran. In the wake of the US’ dissolution of the agreement, KLM, Air France, British Airways and Greek airline Aegean have all nixed their routes to Iran.
Alitalia, the Lufthansa Group, Kuwait Airways, Qatar Airways, Emirates and Turkish Airlines still operate direct flights to Iran and have not yet announced plans to end the routes.
Featured image by Scott Eells/Bloomberg via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.