US, UK Tell Soccer Fans to Beware of Phone Hackers at World Cup
Footie fans at the World Cup in Russia should be taking measures to make sure their phones aren’t hacked by the Kremlin while they’re there, the US and UK governments said this week. And that warning goes for all Americans and Britons — even regular Joes who have no reason to think they’re being targeted by a foreign government, they said.
“Anyone traveling to Russia to attend the World Cup should be clear-eyed about the cyber-risks involved,” William Evanina, FBi agent and director of the US National Counterintelligence and Security Center, said on Wednesday. “Corporate and government officials are most at risk, but don’t assume you’re too insignificant to be targeted.”
The threat is so great that he even suggested Western tourists leave their electronic devices at home entirely, or use burner phones that they can discard after the games instead. He added that visitors should remove that batteries from their phones when they’re not using them.
“If you can do without the device, don’t take it,” he said.
The British government issued a warning to its citizens that Kremlin or criminal hackers could use the data they collect from mobile phones to pinpoint a tourist’s hotel and travel plans and steal his or her identity. The National Cyber Security Centre told Brits in Russia for the event to forgo online banking entirely. Hotel and free or public Wi-Fi are also to be avoided, the agency said.
Before they flew to Russia, the athletes on the UK’s World Cup teams were briefed on the threat and told to treat their hotel rooms as if they were constantly surveilled.
Featured image by Peter KovalevTASS via Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.