US Surgeon General Assists Delta Passenger With Medical Emergency
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An airline passenger with a medical emergency was in luck on Wednesday when the United States Surgeon General was on board the same Delta flight and able to assist.
According to Surgeon General Jerome M. Adams, crew on board the Delta flight asked passengers if there was a doctor on board to help with a medical emergency. “Why yes — yes there was,” Adams tweeted. Adams, who has been the Surgeon General since September 2017, added, “Like a good USPHS officer, I was glad to be able to assist!”
“Prior to takeoff, Delta Flight 1827 from Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Atlanta (ATL) returned to the gate following a customer illness,” Delta said in a statement. “Medical assistance was provided by the US Surgeon General who worked with our flight crew to aid the customer. Delta thanks the Surgeon General for volunteering his services in assisting this customer.”
According to ABC News, a spokesperson for the US Department of Health and Human Services said that the flight crew asked for help when a passenger lost consciousness while the flight was waiting to take off. Adams stepped in to help the passenger and was assisted by two nurses.
The spokesperson said that the passenger regained consciousness, but Adams recommended that they be taken to the hospital. Adams then called the passenger’s spouse to explain what had happened and helped escort the traveler off the plane to awaiting medical personnel.
TPG reached out to the Surgeon General’s office but did not immediately receive comment.
According to flight-tracking website FlightRadar24, the flight was delayed for more than three hours. After originally scheduled to depart at 1:55pm, the aircraft turned around prior to leaving FLL and returned to the gate. The flight, operated by a Boeing 757-200, ultimately departed en route for ATL at 5:14pm.
Adams’ biography notes that he is a board-certified anesthesiologist. After serving as the Indiana State Health Commissioner from 2014 to 2017, Adams was sworn into office as the 20th Surgeon General in September 2017.
Featured image by Chip Somodevilla / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees