US State Department Issues Terror Warning for Barcelona
The US State Department has issued a security alert for those in the area of Barcelona, Spain. The department is urging “heightened caution” in the Ramblas area of downtown Barcelona during the holiday season.
The Catala regional government’s Minister for the Interior, Miquel Buch, says the warning is just one of many that Spanish authorities receive. Buch stated that the terror alert level in Spain will remain at Level 4 out of 5, where it has been since 2015. Buch reiterated that the Spanish authorities take all threats seriously and the warning issued by the US State Department will be treated like any other.
Buch encouraged people to remain vigilant as always, but stated that there was no plan to raise the current threat level in Spain. Authorities will continue to work with the same intensity as always to ensure the safety of the region, he said. The Ramblas, the most crowded area of one of the world’s most popular tourist destinations, were the site of an attack in 2017, when a man ploughed a van into the crowd killing 14 people. The attack was later claimed by the so-called Islamic State terrorist group.
Featured image by Paul J. Richards/AFP/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.