US Gas Prices Drop Below $2 per Gallon at Nearly 1 in 5 Gas Stations
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just in time for the holidays, gasoline now costs less than $2 per gallon at nearly 20% of gas stations in the United States.
Tuesday’s national average was $2.37, according to AAA, which also reported that the rate was four cents cheaper than the same time last week, 26 cents cheaper than a month ago and 5 cents cheaper than a year prior. However, about 10% of the nation’s gas stations still charge more than $3/gallon, many of which are located in California. The nation’s highest-ever price occurred on July 17, 2008, when gas prices averaged $4.11 across the country, according to AAA.
Oil prices in the US have dropped by more than a third since the beginning of October, and was trading at around $47 a barrel (20 gallons) Tuesday afternoon. The Oil Price Information Service (OPIS) stated that more than half of the nation’s gas stations charge $2.25 or less per gallon as of Monday, with Missouri’s state average reaching a nation low of $1.96. Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas and South Carolina aren’t far behind, with gas prices estimated to drop below the two-dollar mark by the end of the week, according to a senior petroleum analyst for fuel-tracking app GasBuddy.
GasBuddy also noted that 31 states boasted at least one gas station offering fuel for less than $2/gallon, and one station in Texas charged $1.65 – the lowest rate in the nation.
The sharp cost decrease comes from consistently high rates of global oil production, including within the US, coupled with the global economy’s effect on oil demand. The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) recently agreed to lower production numbers in an attempt to boost dropping prices. The unexpectedly low numbers are in direct opposition to analyst predictions that prices would increase to around $100 per barrel. In contrast, gas prices topped $2.90 per gallon across the nation, and the decline has saved Americans about $225 million per day as a result of the current gas price decline.
Featured photo by Sol de Zuasnabar Brebbia / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees