New travel restrictions will require unvaccinated Americans to face additional testing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Unvaccinated Americans flying back to the U.S. will be subject to stricter reentry testing requirements starting in early November, the Biden administration announced Monday, Sept. 20, as part of the administration’s plan to reopen U.S. borders to international travelers.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
“Today, the President is announcing that beginning in early November, the United States will be putting in place strict protocols to prevent the spread of COVID-19 from passengers flying internationally into the United States, by requiring that adult foreign nationals traveling to the United States be fully vaccinated,” a White House official said via email. “This policy means that we will be replacing the current … travel policies for individual countries with a new global system as of early November, and will be moving to a consistent, stringent requirement for all international air travelers coming to the United States.”
Specifically, all foreign nationals traveling to the U.S. will need to show proof of full vaccination before boarding a flight to come to the U.S. All travelers, including fully vaccinated American citizens, will be required to show results of a negative COVID-19 test taken within three days of departure to the U.S.
Although the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will “continue to strongly recommend against air travel by Americans who are not fully vaccinated,” they will allow unvaccinated Americans to return to the U.S. by providing proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken within one day of departure, in addition to providing proof that they have purchased a viral test to be taken after arrival.
“CDC will also issue a Contact Tracing Order that will require airlines to collect comprehensive contact information for every passenger coming to the United States and to provide that information promptly to CDC upon request, to follow up with travelers who have been exposed to COVID-19 variants or other pathogens,” the White House official said. “These requirements will apply globally.”
Today’s announcement is part of the lifting of former President Donald Trump’s travel ban which closed U.S. borders to nonessential international travel for the past 18 months, including from the European Union, despite the EU welcoming back vaccinated Americans in June. November will mark the first time international travelers are allowed back to the U.S. for tourism since March 2020.
During a press briefing on Sept. 20, White House press secretary Jen Psaki did not specify what vaccines will be accepted nor how proof of vaccination will work, but said she expects that information to be available “as part of the implementation of the process in early November.”
Featured photo of White House press secretary Jen Psaki at a press briefing on Sept. 20 by Saul Loeb/AFP via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees