Unruly Passenger Arrested After Forcing United Flight Back to London
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In this episode of Passengers Behaving Badly — which, by the way, is finding way too much air time of late — a United Airlines flight to Washington (IAD) was forced to turn back to London after a woman on board caused quite the stir. Shortly after departing from Heathrow (LHR) at 12:14pm local time on Sept. 23, 2018, UA919 pulled a return to sender, landing at the same airport from which it took off.
Passengers on board reported that a woman began acting erratically about an hour into the flight, with sporadic yelling and cursing that was loud enough for “everyone within a five meter radius” to hear. After the flight crew asked if any medical professionals were on board the Boeing 787-8, a follow-up announcement made clear that the flight would be returning to the United Kingdom. Making matters worse, Sunday’s UA919 was subsequently cancelled after the crew timed out, though the passenger responsible was arrested upon her return.
United’s statement on the flight is below.
“Our team at London Heathrow provided assistance to customers of United flight UA919 (London Heathrow – Washington/Dulles) yesterday, which returned to London Heathrow and was met by police on arrival due to an unruly passenger on board. The passenger was arrested and this is now a matter for the police.
Due to crew exceeding their legally permitted duty hours, this flight was cancelled. We provided our customers with meal vouchers and hotel accommodation and they departed for Washington/Dulles this morning.”
H/T: The Mirror
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees