Unruly Passenger Arrested After Forcing United Flight Back to London
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In this episode of Passengers Behaving Badly — which, by the way, is finding way too much air time of late — a United Airlines flight to Washington (IAD) was forced to turn back to London after a woman on board caused quite the stir. Shortly after departing from Heathrow (LHR) at 12:14pm local time on Sept. 23, 2018, UA919 pulled a return to sender, landing at the same airport from which it took off.
Passengers on board reported that a woman began acting erratically about an hour into the flight, with sporadic yelling and cursing that was loud enough for “everyone within a five meter radius” to hear. After the flight crew asked if any medical professionals were on board the Boeing 787-8, a follow-up announcement made clear that the flight would be returning to the United Kingdom. Making matters worse, Sunday’s UA919 was subsequently cancelled after the crew timed out, though the passenger responsible was arrested upon her return.
United’s statement on the flight is below.
“Our team at London Heathrow provided assistance to customers of United flight UA919 (London Heathrow – Washington/Dulles) yesterday, which returned to London Heathrow and was met by police on arrival due to an unruly passenger on board. The passenger was arrested and this is now a matter for the police.
Due to crew exceeding their legally permitted duty hours, this flight was cancelled. We provided our customers with meal vouchers and hotel accommodation and they departed for Washington/Dulles this morning.”
H/T: The Mirror
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.