Disney World drops mask mandate for vaccinated guests as of June 15
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with additional information.
On Friday evening, Walt Disney World released the news park-goers had been waiting for: As of June 15, guests who are fully vaccinated are no longer required to wear masks in “most areas.”
The mask-optional policy (for the fully vaccinated) covers both indoor and outdoor areas of the park, excluding Disney transportation (buses, monorails, and the Disney Skyliner). Non-vaccinated guests are still asked to wear face coverings while indoors and outdoors.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
Florida currently has a ban on businesses and government agencies in the state requiring proof of COVID-19 vaccination, so guests won’t be required to show a vaccine card or passport. However, unvaccinated guests are expected to comply with the current policy to help keep themselves, other guests and employees safe throughout their visit.
Disney World was not far behind Universal Orlando when it rolled back mask requirements for guests while outdoors, but until today, it had yet to announce a change in its indoor mask policy.
After the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued updated guidance in May that those who are vaccinated can safely cease wearing masks in most situations, many theme parks began rolling back mask mandates.
Almost immediately, Hersheypark dropped its masking rules for guests who are fully vaccinated. Then Las Vegas casinos also stopped requiring vaccinated guests to wear masks, and Universal Orlando and Disney World were close to follow with an announcement that guests could go maskless while outside (with some important caveats).
On May 29, Universal Studios confirmed to TPG that face coverings would no longer be required indoors or outdoors for fully vaccinated guests, saying “While we will not require proof of vaccination, we do expect our guests to comply with this revised policy and to use face coverings if they have not been vaccinated. The health and safety of our guests and team members remains our top priority as we continue our thoughtful return to regular operations.”
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis issued an executive order earlier in May canceling remaining local COVID-19 restrictions – including mask mandates in public areas, but privately-owned businesses can still require masks on their property. Disney and Universal Orlando both phased out temperature checks at entry points, and as more U.S. residents become vaccinated and CDC guidelines continue to evolve as we head into summer, have continued to roll back on policies such as mask mandates.
Additional reporting by Summer Hull and Madison Blancaflor.
Featured image by Roberto Machado Noa/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees