United’s 787-10 Begins International Service, Brings Back Polaris Bear
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United’s shiny new 787-10 Dreamliner enters international service this Saturday, serving two inaugural routes both departing from Newark. UA84 will arrive in Tel Aviv at 10:15 am March 31, and UA 960 will arrive in Frankfurt at 9:30 am on March 31.
|March 30||UA 84||Newark (EWR)||4:55 pm||Tel Aviv (TLV)||10:15 am|
|March 30||UA 960||Newark (EWR)||7:50 pm||Frankfurt (FRA)||9:20 am|
United is the world’s first carrier to operate all three variants of the Boeing 787, and the -10 is the first 787 to feature United’s new Polaris business class seat. The 787-10, longest of the three versions of the Dreamliner, has been flying domestically with UA for some months — we tried it on a run between Newark and Los Angeles, and liked it. It also features Premium Plus, the United version of premium economy.
To celebrate the occasion, United Airlines is bringing back its plush Polaris mascot, Ursa the Bear, on March 30 and 31. A limited-edition stuffed polar bear will be distributed to all Polaris passengers departing the US on any plane, even if they aren’t flying on the new 787-10.
Despite phasing out Ursa a couple of years ago, United has brought back the bear for new aircraft launches in the past, such as when the airline launched its first 777-300 international route in 2017.
All photos by Sara Wass and Zach Honig for The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees