United unlikely to offer elite upgrade extensions this year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There appears to be another unfortunate casualty of United’s new PlusPoints program — in addition to the reduced earning rate we just learned about as part of the carrier’s changes to elite qualification, kicking in Jan. 1, 2020.
In the past, United has offered Premier 1K and Global Services members an opportunity to extend the expiration date of two Global Premier Upgrade (GPU) certificates, from Jan. 31 until April 30. Members were required to have requalified for the same (or higher) status level for the following year, but — assuming things were all squared away on that front — MileagePlus Service Center agents were able to extend two certificates on the spot. It was an unadvertised, but much-appreciated perk.
Unfortunately, a United spokesperson confirmed that the same will not apply to PlusPoints — once that conversion takes place on Dec. 4, 2019, points originally issued as GPUs in 2018 will expire on Jan. 31, 2020.
Now, I’ll certainly be giving MileagePlus a call (at 800-421-4655) to attempt to extend the equivalent of two GPUs — or 80 PlusPoints — regardless. I’m sure many 1K and Global Services elites will, too, so I wouldn’t give up hope just yet. However, since the policy is to not offer an extension as of now, I’d do your best to redeem your GPUs if at all possible — it’d be quite a shame to have them disappear come Jan. 31, 2020.
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee