This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“We are deeply sorry for this tragic accident, and have worked with the Robledo family to reach a resolution,” said Charles Hobart, a spokesperson for United. Both the airline and the owners of Kokito, the 10-month-old French bulldog puppy, are keeping the agreement terms confidential.
The Robledo family originally planned to sue United after a flight attendant insisted they put the dog in the overhead bin, and the incident also led district attorneys in New York and Texas to consider criminal charges of animal cruelty against the airline.
The puppy’s death is just one of several pet-related mishaps for United Airlines this year, which have included a dog that was mistakenly sent to Japan being returned home via private charter. In response, United has implemented stringent changes to its once-generous pet transportation policies, including issuing brightly colored bag tags on pet carriers.
Featured photo by Nick Herasimenka via Unsplash.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees