United rolls out ‘Skip Waitlist’ upgrade option on many more routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with new information.
United Platinum, Premier 1K and Global Services members are familiar with the airline’s PlusPoints upgrade platform, which gives elite flyers more options for moving up a cabin or two — frequent flyers can book economy and fly in Polaris business class by booking with a combination of cash and PlusPoints, for example.
One especially intriguing redemption option is something United calls Skip Waitlist, which lets flyers redeem additional PlusPoints to confirm an upgrade at booking, when they would have had to take their chances with the waitlist in the past.
How Skip Waitlist works
Skip Waitlist is only available with long-haul international itineraries — if you use the option to confirm your spot in Premium Plus or Polaris, you’ll still be waitlisted for any domestic legs, unless there’s upgrade availability for those segments at booking.
Initially, Skip Waitlist was only available on select flights between North America and South America, but the airline has now rolled out the program to transatlantic flights, and you may find it on additional long-haul routes, too.
Generally, Skip Waitlist requires 70 PlusPoints to move from economy to Premium Plus and 140 PlusPoints to move from economy to business.
For travel through Sept. 15, 2021, you can book Skip Waitlist awards at a discount on flights between the U.S. and Europe, at 50 PlusPoints to confirm Premium Plus, 70 to move from Premium Plus to business and 100 to upgrade from economy to business.
Still, that’s an enormous premium, compared to other redemption options:
- Economy to domestic first/regional business: 20 PlusPoints
- Economy to Premium Plus: 20 PlusPoints
- Premium Plus to Polaris: 30 PlusPoints
- Economy to Polaris (Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W): 40 PlusPoints
- Economy to ANA business (G, E, U, M, Y, B): 40 PlusPoints
- Business to ANA first (J, C, D): 40 PlusPoints
- Economy to Copa business: 40 PlusPoints
- Economy to Lufthansa business (G, E, Y, B, M, U, H, Q): 40 PlusPoints
- Business to Lufthansa first (J, C, D): 40 PlusPoints
- Economy to Premium Plus (Skip Waitlist): 70 PlusPoints
- Economy to Polaris (S, T, L, K, G): 80 PlusPoints
- Economy to Polaris (Skip Waitlist): 140 PlusPoints
There’s another big catch: “Once you request a Skip Waitlist upgrade on an itinerary, that upgrade is confirmed immediately and cannot be cancelled or moved to another flight. If you change flights, you will not be refunded the PlusPoints for your Skip Waitlist upgrade.”
Additionally, you can only use this option to upgrade on your own flights — you can bump up other travelers, too, but they need to be on the same itinerary.
Searching for Skip Waitlist
First, you’ll need to use a special method to identify eligible flights. After logging into a MileagePlus account with a current PlusPoints balance, head over to the “Advanced search” option and enter your origin, destination and travel dates.
From there, scroll down to the “Upgrades, certificates, and promotion codes” section and select “PlusPoints upgrades,” then conduct your search.
If there are eligible flights available, you can identify them easily by selecting the “Available only and Skip Waitlist” option.
Notably, Skip Waitlist availability doesn’t appear to be tied to any specific fare class — the lowest revenue business or premium economy fare classes don’t necessarily need to be available. Additionally, you may see the Skip Waitlist option on previously booked flights — you’ll be able to select it when viewing your upgrade options.
While the Skip Waitlist option was initially only available on flights between North America and South America, you may see it on flights to Europe and other regions now. As you can see below, it’s only possible to upgrade from discounted economy fares to Premium Plus — you need to book “W” class or higher in order to lock in a business-class upgrade.
Be sure to pay attention to all options — with the example below, by purchasing a Premium Economy fare instead of regular coach, you’ll save both cash and PlusPoints to move up to business class.
Skip Waitlist has the potential to be quite useful to elites with significant PlusPoints balances, but it’s important to note all of the restrictions:
- Skip Waitlist is not available within 14 days of departure
- You must book W class or higher for Polaris
- Domestic flights are not eligible
- You can only use Skip Waitlist to upgrade your own flights
- PlusPoints will not be returned if you change your flights
Assuming those terms work for you — and you have the PlusPoints to spare — it may make sense to book.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees