United Bug Currently Blocking Upgrade Availability Online
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 2/4: PZ upgrade space once again appears on United’s website and app.
Confirmed upgrade availability may be tricky to come by, but at least United makes it easy to see whether or not the space is there, using a tool called “Expert Mode.”
All of United’s general customers and almost all elite members — up to and including Premier 1K — need availability in the “PZ” fare class to confirm an upgrade at booking. For one reason or another, PZ currently isn’t showing up on any of the airline’s public-facing platforms, including the website and mobile app. The PN fare class is still being displayed, however, so Global Services members remain unaffected.
Take, for example, United’s nonstop from Newark (EWR) to Tokyo (NRT). Thursday’s flight has at least nine seats open in every single fare class, except PZ. There’s even 9+ seats available for saver awards in Polaris business class, but not a single open for upgrades. That doesn’t make any sense.
That’s also the case when you search using the airline’s upgrade tool. According to United’s website, Premier 1K upgrade certificates will land on the waitlist, rather than confirming right away.
Fortunately — as many have likely expected — the airline isn’t suddenly blocking upgrades on every flight, it’s just a bug with the website and app, and hopefully one that will be corrected very soon. United is aware and looking into getting it sorted ASAP. In the meantime, you can check upgrade availability before you book by giving United a call at 1 (800) 864-8331, or via your respective elite line.
If you prefer to search online, keep an eye out for IN availability. If you even see a seat for saver awards, there should be at least one open in PZ. Once you confirm it’s there, you can still book and upgrade your flight online. If for some reason it doesn’t clear, be sure to give United a ring right away.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees